Up and in at the Magic Kingdom: Disney to found "Storyliving" planned communities

Celebration is very much NOT a Libertarian utopia. It has a very restrictive HOA, even by HOA standards.

2 Likes

It honestly wasn’t that bad, but I moved to Celebration right as Disney was washing their hands of the endeavor. The worst part was the HOA, but that was only really bad when I was selling a house.

The weirdest part was the very high church/person ratio. All my neighbors tried to get me to go to their church. I ended up very heavily implying I was Jewish (I’m not, but my wife is, so it was a very easy implication to make).

2 Likes

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

:wink:

Wonder where they learned that trick from…

5 Likes

But an HOA (in developments like this) is developer control over their Rightfully Owned Property, designed to protect property values, so it’s the Right Kind of Control. Libertarian approved!

4 Likes

I actually did think about that, how you’re theoretically voluntarily giving up control, so it’s technically libertarian, but HOAs tend to have such unfettered power that is effectively much stronger than the HOA docs give them. So I rate Celebration 1 out of 5 in libertarianness. :wink:

1 Like

Snow Crash is not future I wanted.

Cryptocurrency

Metaverse

Burbclaves

Etc

3 Likes

L. Bob Rife.
Reverend Bob’s Pearly Gates.

4 Likes

I’d likely end up in the FDR but Mr. Lee’s Greater Hong Kong would always beckon with its promise of a good hijink now and then.

2 Likes

And to make it even more dystopian, you know everything we make IRL will be a lame shadow of the Snow Crash version. Just look at our robot dogs.

5 Likes

Yes, but that’s because they haven’t got nuclear power or doberman brains yet.

But give Elon time, eh?

2 Likes

While looking up Celebration I learned what a community development district is and let me put it this way: Oh.

We used to have something similar, but the Junker class never really recovered from WW1 and ours were dissolved in the 20s.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.