Updated trailer for 1974's 'Escape to Witch Mountain'

Originally published at: Updated trailer for 1974's 'Escape to Witch Mountain' | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I remember it as Escape from Witch Mountain I guess because why would you escape TO witch mountain?

2 Likes

The sequel is Return from Witch Mountain, your brain could be mashing them together.

9 Likes

Well, the movie is about getting to Witch Mountain. Its a fairly literal title.

4 Likes

I loved that movie when I was a kid, and it scared me, too. I even had the books…wonder if they were Scholastic.

Donald Pleasance’s character was so very creepy! Horresco referens!

4 Likes

My friend growing up loved this movie and he especially loved it after he became a huge acid head.

1 Like

I just remember thinking: wow…those are some shitty adults.
“hey kids! We’re all fine, but we’re gonna let you sweat it out with a hidden star map. Have fun being orphans! It’s survival of the fittest that GAVE us our sweet psychic powers, so…good luck”

2 Likes

It was an interesting sequence – book (by Alexander Key), movie, lousy sequel, novelization thereof (again by Key, attempting to clean up the mess I guess).

1 Like

Book by Alexander Key … I was head-over-heels as a kid over Key’s “The Forgotten Door”, another kids-against-the-man book (see E.T.). :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Because you are an alien child (conveniently from a species that can pass as human) and you want to get to the place where the other aliens are. The mountain was named by small-minded humans who thought the aliens were witches.

2 Likes

The whole thing was a rip-off of Zenna Henderson’s “The People: No Different Flesh” stories.

2 Likes

It may be a new trailer, but it seems pretty official since it’s on the Disney+ account.

I didn’t see the movie in the theater, but I did read the novelization and see it on VHS when VCRs were new. I’m pretty certain that Kim Richards was my first crush. Ike Eisenmann (not to be confused with Ike Eisenhower) kind of creeped me out, though.

The '74 movie still holds up for the most part. Donald Pleasence always gave a great performance, no matter how cheesy the movie.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.