Upload a photo of anyone to this site to find more images around the internet of that person

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/10/upload-a-photo-of-anyone-to-th.html

3 Likes

This would be another good reason to be suspicious of any employers requesting a photo of you prior to the interview.

#deleteFacebook

11 Likes

Yeah, tempting as it is, I’m not uploading my photo to a site like that.

19 Likes

I am always concerned with privacy, so being able to hunt down where someone might have shared photos of me publicly is tempting. However, I’m not going to trust this company to treat my data with respect. Even if you could trust them today, doesn’t mean you can trust them later, post acquisition, or IPO.

11 Likes

Another sensational new feature for your happy life, brought to you by NSA, Incorporated.

2 Likes

Look at that. And without the help of IBM. I’m assuming.

2 Likes

Ive been waiting for this to happen/seen this coming for quite a while. Specifically when I lived in Russian Hill and North Beach San Francisco, and was constantly photographed by tourists while about my business.

They weren’t photographing me - just the city - and I was in their photos. And I thought…“someday there’s going to be a site that allows me to put in my face and find every photo taken of me.”

I mean, facial recognition has been around a long time- was sure this would happen sooner.

3 Likes

Hmmmm. . . if I upload a picture of someone they don’t actually have photos of, then they will have a photo of him/her.

8 Likes

I assume they ask for your email address and a couple of other data points before letting you upload an image - nope! This is as bad as the geneology sites that take the information you upload as a means to search for details on your family history and make it part of the database they charge for.

3 Likes

Tested with some photos from thispersondoesnotexist.com. Some of the responses were pretty close. Most were not very similar.

6 Likes

Right, that’s exactly what I’ve been ranting and raving about too my less tech-pessimistic and more happy-go-lucky social media-using friends and family for YEARS… combine this tech with a database of names and open access (or zettabytes of leaks) from global surveillance cameras and you’ve got a Doctorow-level dystopia.
I genuinely hate refusing to have my picture taken, and it sure annoys some people, but I just worry about these things. I mean, Christ, deepfakes! Whatever next, right??

1 Like

I just tried the site using a photo of someone I know from 30 years ago, pre-interwebs, and they found 5 matches, none of which particularly looked like him.

3 Likes

Self Portrait

13 Likes

You’ll have to wait some more, I think, based on a few tests I tried.

1 Like

Just another brick in the wall that is: we built it because we can.

2 Likes

Pretty crappy match-ups, actually

Perhaps they know this too, and have released the obvious beta to the public, so they can feed it with a load more data.

2 Likes

Yeah, the only reason to release this is to get photos with all kinds of permissions.

Mess with their dataset and their algorithm.

Upload photos from thispersondoesnotexist.com

Many times

3 Likes

Don’t worry, someone will probably do it for you.

1 Like