UPS driver collapses on porch from high heat in Arizona (video)

Just for another example of out-of-touch capitalism, there was a job offered through PeopleReady this last weekend in San Diego for folks who could walk around a street market on the weekend in front of the DMV picking up trash. I don’t know who operates the market, but they were dictating the dress code as all black, and the work started at noon. If anyone is aware of the area, it is extremely open and almost devoid of trees.

9 Likes

jack black wtf GIF

9 Likes

Yeah, we put a dig on hold here because of the heat. It was in the woods, but still.

4 Likes

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

9 Likes

Anyway…

Back on the actual topic at hand:

Sadly, incidents like this one are only likely to increase in frequency as we continue to reap the results of all the damage humanity has done ecologically over the last century or so.

9 Likes

I stopped giving these a-holes the benefit of the doubt ages ago. It’s just that I feel like I literally can’t do anything about them.

I live next door in VA. We have to solid D Senators that get it. One of them was almost VP. I have a very good D Representative that leans actually progressive.

Unfortunately, I can do nothing outside my state/district, and even in state… my primary vote for Governor got trashed by the party last year and they put up a stale turd who barely, just barely lost out to a loudmouth MAGAt who is now governor. I’m not sure if there’d have been real change had one of the more progressive D’s won, or if the usual “party not in power ends up winning next election in off years” would have held, but I still did what I could.

So yeah, they know it’s bad. They also know they’re making money and will die before I deal with it (I’m in my 40s) let alone my young kid deals with it.

1 Like

Yep, you’re literally not far off a cooking temperature!

1 Like

Jesus, UPS! Do what construction workers do in AZ; work either 4am ~ 10am or 4pm ~ 10pm. At least people will be home to get their packages, and your drivers won’t catch on fire.

giphy

6 Likes

Yep, that has me wondering, too. The company says they train employees, but are pretty sparse on what happened next. I imagine if they sent a relief driver to bring him home then carry on his route, they would’ve mentioned that for the kudos, but they didn’t, so…
This is scary for the driver and every other person on the road :grimacing:
And more broadly, as mentioned, for all of us. Because we’re burning our beautiful, miraculous planet :cry:

9 Likes

Very interesting point. UPS would be a 24/7 operation, shifting delivery hours makes sense. Regular postal delivery is mornings. Bakers work overnight for light of day deadlines and we used to accept newspaper deliveries early morning why not shift the bulk of delivery that doesn’t require a person to person signature to an early service?

On top of that, there are many people who want go do the same thing to Mars…

IMO, we need to take ‘care of home first,’ and fix all our multitudinous fuckups here before even attempting to go to fuck up yet another planet…

8 Likes

Yeah, I have really conflicted feelings about space exploration in general. On the one hand, I think we need to take care of this place and get things better sorted before spending money on outer space stuff.
On the other hand, I think there are intangible benefits to exploration and scientific curiosity and discovery that are very important to the human spirit.
I’ve never thought of it this way before, but I think it comes down to addressing different levels of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
But I don’t think that’s what you’re talking about. We definitely should not export our destructive, extractive form of commerce onto other planets. The current capitalist model makes us into a fucking cancer on the galaxy.

9 Likes

I don’t disagree with your point about the potential benefits of space exploration… but IMO, as a society, we simply are not ready yet.

And we know it, (which is probably why we often imagine extraterrestrial beings as being so hostile and adverse to humanity…)

8 Likes

Teamsters does nothing to help workers. For example, if you miss more than three days in a row in a period of three months (this was in 2009 I have no idea what the current contract conditions are for sick days) you’re automatically placed on probation which means if you do anything they don’t like in that time you are FIRED. No real chance of appeal or anything, you’re done, no more job at UPS. And this was on the package car loading side of the business. So, I can’t imagine how the drivers have it. It’s probably worse.

6 Likes

Yes, IMHO we should cure us by fighting the cancer within… trickle down capitalism has been a failed experiment for many years.Seems obvious for some but here we are with workers collapsing of heat stroke as a symptom.

1 Like

I bet his and all the other repubs, grandkids are loving all this. They’ll have millions of inherited dollars, and no expensive islands to hide on.

There’s a delivery company in Norway that does just that. And I’m sure similar offers exist in other countries. It’s not for weather reasons, though. I suspect they mostly take advantage of emptier roads at night.

Used to?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.