Urban Dictionary

Continuing the discussion from Artist steals top 1-inch piece of England's tallest mountain:

Well, this sent me down an interesting rabbit hole.

[Robert][1]. [Jason][2]. [Mark][3]. [David][4]. [Cory][5].

Even [Donald][6] "has really fierce dance moves, is better than everyone at everything, has great fashion sense, will rule the world one day."

Hmm.

[Michelle][7]. [Carla][8]. [Heather][9]. [Susan][10]. [Liz][11]. [Leigh][12].

What to make of this. Some sort of collective unconsciousness? Spam-seeding UD entries? A universal desire to judge everyone by a) how cool they are and b) how fuckable they are?

I’m going with some interesting sociolinguistic phenomenon where a clique of people noun* someone’s name as an in-joke, and then someone from the group feels compelled to put their original (to them) joke on the interwebs.

*yes I just verbed noun.
[1]: Urban Dictionary: Robert
[2]: Urban Dictionary: Jason
[3]: Urban Dictionary: mark
[4]: Urban Dictionary: David
[5]: Urban Dictionary: Cory
[6]: Urban Dictionary: Donald
[7]: Urban Dictionary: Michelle
[8]: Urban Dictionary: Carla
[9]: Urban Dictionary: Heather
[10]: Urban Dictionary: susan
[11]: Urban Dictionary: Liz
[12]: Urban Dictionary: Leigh

4 Likes

Considering the, uh, tone of Urban Dictionary in general, I’m actually kinda pleased that the first entry for literally every name I’ve looked at is glowingly positive.

I suppose it’s the Wiki effect, where the people who care the most about a particular page are the ones most likely to maintain it.

2 Likes

I believe you’re right:

"Damian

A cool name that has nothing to do with the devils son.
You hear me you fruity religion obsessed fuck bags."

1 Like

:frowning:

Thanks for your definition of funruly!

A few volunteer editors read your definition and decided to not publish it. Don’t take it personally!

To understand what definitions we publish and reject, check out this blog post: http://blog.urbandictionary.com/post/49469679426

Try rewriting your definition so that it’s easier for others to understand, then try again.

Thanks,

Urban Dictionary

funruly

Internet weirdo, aesthetician, nomad of the time-streams. Funruly is
both fun and unruly, which is a coincidence as his name is Aramaic in
origin.

That Funruly, despite being a dour Armenian, sure is unruly and fun.

6 Likes

That’s because the proposed definition is counterfactual. In truth, I am solely responsible for Rule F at Aloha Stadium.

Yours truly,
Francǣs Ȕnruly

3 Likes

How often do you meet Bob Struction for pineapple juice?

(Amernians can be so literal!)

1 Like

So yeah what that says would be nice, but about as accurate as a horoscope.

I suspect it’s a way for people with posting privileges to butter up their boyfriends,girlfriends.

1 Like

I can’t win, can I?

2 Likes

have you tried to W.I.N.?

1 Like

yes. many times.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 690 days. New replies are no longer allowed.