US Climate Alliance replaces US Fed Govt in Paris Climate Accord

Here’s a good read:

“Widespread switching to alternatives including natural gas and biofuels could displace about 13.5 million barrels a day of oil demand by 2040, according to the IEA. That’s more than double the gains from electric cars.”

“Some oil companies have acknowledged the potential for demand to peak sooner. Shell has said oil could peak somewhere between five and 15 years, while Total thinks a surge in battery powered vehicles will cause demand for oil to peak in the 2030s.”

1 Like

Very first tweet and it says allot.

5 Likes

Short answer: It wasn’t bad for American jobs.

Long answer: Green jobs in America are a growing sector. A 2013 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) found 3.4 million green jobs in the United States at the end of 2011. Even those without green jobs receive percs for participating in green efforts, such as rooftop solar or backyard wind-power.

In contrast, coal mining provides around 78K jobs total in the US, and falling. (Not that coal is the only non-renewable job sector by any means.) Please note that the job loss has been going on since the 1930s, and is expected to continue regardless of our participation in the Paris Climate Accord.

5 Likes

THE END OF THE WORLD
(as we know it)

You know, because of saving some bullshit obsolete coal mine in Pa.

3 Likes

The only consolation will be watching Mar-a-Lago drown beneath the rising waves.

8 Likes

Even the Mayor of Pittsburg, Pa. is calling Trump out.

3 Likes

I think Trump honestly keeps forgetting that most American voters didn’t want him in office and believe he’s doing a terrible job. He’s spent so much time gazing adoringly at that color-coded electoral map without reflecting that most Americans live in the blue bits.

6 Likes

And here comes the US Climate Alliance:

5 Likes

So, beyond the issue of who Pittsburgh voters voted for: apparently Trump thinks the climate agreement was created just by citizens of Paris, I guess because that city’s name is in the name…

7 Likes

Maybe if we get everyone to start calling it the Pittsburgh Accord, he’ll reconsider. I don’t think you’d even have to spend time denying that it was ever called the Paris Accord; guy’s got less persistence of consciousness than a goldfish.

Edit: yes, this is how you get a 3-year-old to eat their broccoli. But this is where we’re at right now, so…

7 Likes

I’d hate to hear his opinions on the Nuremberg Trials, then.

Somebody needs to give him a Chicago Sunroof already.

2 Likes

I’d settle for A Kathy Griffin.

1 Like

Fun fact: Michael Bloomberg is worth $50.2 billion, according to Google. Even if he never made another cent, he could personally pay America’s entire outstanding pledge to the Green Climate Fund of $2 billion, set $40 million on fire every day for the rest of his life (assuming he lives to the average life expectancy in the US of 78), and still have enough money to live in incredible luxury until the day he dies.

He could pay literally half of the entire world’s annual pledge of $100 billion by himself, right now, and still have $200 million left over to live on.

Instead, his philanthropic organization and its partners are going to cough out $15 million to cover America’s part of the UN climate convention’s operating costs.

The richest people in this country - let alone the rest of the world - have an unfathomable amount of money that they could be throwing at the problem of climate change if they were actually serious about combating it. But they’re not going to. They’d sooner let the planet go full Mad Max than ever give up their “hard earned” fortunes. There’s a reason why it’s called “obscene wealth”.

3 Likes

This was a great unpacking of some of the many layers of bullshit from 45s speech yesterday:

3 Likes

Then there’s this:

5 Likes

That’s a good summary of some of the main points. When that speech came over the radio, I was almost stunned by its mendacity, and was left wondering what he was trying to distract from that he would barf up so many lies.

2 Likes

And what better way to troll than making a huge, splashy, and shocking announcement filled to the brim with lies to exit an agreement that’s really not much more than the world community uniting to pledge to do something about climate change? It’s basically the global equivalent of one of his much loved executive orders, ffs. All intent with no teeth.

Then again this is the person that can’t seem to separate weather from the overall concept of climate change (with his numerous “it’s cold, where’s my global warming??” tweets.)

3 Likes

The very definition of a lame duck presidency.

3 November: Trump defeated
4 November: Trump withdraws from accord
20 January: Savior of all that is good and right has to pick up the pieces.

1 Like

Coincidentally…