US DoD white paper: wearing hijab is "passive terrorism"

Wearing of the hijab is NOT passive terrorism. It is active terrorism - against women, who are rightfully terrified not to wear it.

4 Likes

Preparing food for others is a sacred duty for which heā€™s not remotely qualified.

1 Like

Oh, no, I donā€™t deny at all that there are assholes that make women dress according to what they think is proper, and that some of these assholes are the same ones that tell their young men to blow themselves up in the name of their god.

I just also donā€™t deny that there are at least some free-thinking women who wear the hijab for the same reason that a Jewish man might wear a yarmulke: as a part of their not-repressive, not-fundamentalist religion and culture.

13 Likes

Care to tell that tale?

Sounds interesting.

4 Likes

Who are ā€œusā€, and how are you people able to point out to me what I think? Itā€™s uncanny!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s sure a mighty overbroad assumption.

2 Likes

You in particular? Likely.

3 Likes

I always knew those scheming wimmins were at the heart of eeeeeevil. I mean, high-waisted pants, amirite?!?

Also, did the OP throw a link in there? JIC, linky to the paper in question:

4 Likes

That would describe my former boss. She was from Egypt, where some women do not wear the hijab. And, actually, she only wore it as business attire (with what looked like an agal, whatever that might be called for women) ā€“ if we worked on Saturday, for example, sheā€™d just wear a scarf. Itā€™s not as though Iā€™d ask her something like this point blank, but Iā€™m quite certain no one (including her husband) was making her cover her hair. Their daughters didnā€™t cover their hair at all.

7 Likes

Well, like I said I donā€™t want to defend the theory, just point out that itā€™s not novel.

Personally, when I was younger, and did not have access to sex, I went out and tried to get me some (this mostly involved ineptly trying to impress girls who were not particularly impressed by pimply, overeager teenage beanpoles). If my elders and/or preachers had acted to prevent this, Iā€™m pretty sure that I would have been angry at everyone except women. But thatā€™s just me, and I never bought into the ā€œwomen are the root of sinā€ meme the preachers like to push at young men.

3 Likes

Alternative interpretation: wearing hijab, turban, yarmulke, crucifix, or colander is an obnoxious way to proclaim your membership in a mythology thatā€™s clearly better than everyone elseā€™s. I donā€™t see any diff. between so-called mainstream religious garb and tattooing the answer to x = 23111 on your forehead.

Oh no you had to see someoneā€™s cultural designation. Are you ok? Do you need a hug?

7 Likes

Stop deciding what women should and shouldnā€™t do. Many women wear it as a choice, even when some obviously donā€™t.

15 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure that if the FSM existed, s/he would point out that his/her followers donā€™t actually think their intentionally made up mythology is better than everyone elseā€™s, even though objectively, it clearly is. Theyā€™re just being honest about the fact that their mythology is completely made up.

3 Likes

He quit his last job.

Tawfik Hamid, a former member of the militant extremist group al Gamaā€™a al-Islamiyya, offers a ā€œsoup to nutsā€ strategic plan that addresses the components of the Islamist terrorism cycle at ideological, psychological, social, and economic levels including proliferation of the Salafi Islamic ideology (indoctrination, cultural practices, propaganda), creation of passive terrorists, and the transformation to active terrorists.

The implication may be that militant extremists arenā€™t ā€œright in the headā€, and a explanation that seems bonkers to us might seem perfectly logical to the kind of people who think that militant extremism will bring about desirable eschatological change,

1 Like

It sounds like Hamid thinks counter-indoctrinating religious extremists with sexually permissive Western culture is the solution for making them hate Western culture less. Iā€™m guessing that net, even if it might catch a few fish, has a significant hole in it.

All those people who think theyā€™re better than him! Donā€™t they know that theyā€™re worse than him?

1 Like

ā€œInflaming the Imam.ā€

1 Like

WHY DID YOU EAT THAT APPLE? :wink:

9 Likes

I suddenly want to start wearing my yamulke again, just for cultural pride.

5 Likes