US DoD white paper: wearing hijab is "passive terrorism"

They DO come off from time to time.

3 Likes

Because calling the hijab a degrading instrument of religious-based sexism is ā€œIslamophobicā€. Good to know.

You do realize no one is arguing the pro-Daesh position here, right? Rather that this ridiculous thesis ignores the actual human beings itā€™s about and imposes a meaning upon them and their actions. As if they are all a monolith and are all doing this for the same reason. As if they canā€™t make choices on their own and need white, non-Muslim men to save them.

8 Likes

Men would still feel entitled to it.

2 Likes

And she sometimes wears it. I think sheā€™d like to be the one to make that choice, not either the Taliban or some policy makers in DC.

6 Likes

Actually, yes, it kind of is. Because, it once again, allows some small, radicalized fraction to control the narrative of what more than 1 billion people might believe about a piece of cloth.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure those wearing a hijab willfully enjoy being called literal animals without agency.

Keep on convincing nobody.

4 Likes

Right. Because liberated cool women in Western society can sport the universal symbol of the religious subjugation of women without supporting the oppression of women - itā€™s just a fashion accessory, after all. And pointing this out means you are Islamophobic. How refreshingly open-minded you are!

Oh, I am sure they really really enjoy being treated like second-class animals. Which is why no women wore these things when Iran was secular, but all wear them today because of their liberated feelings of ā€œagencyā€. How very kind of you to grant them such freedom of expression! You really are quite the feminist.

Actually, some women did and the secret police would literally rip them off of women when they were seen in public. But that kind of oppression is just fine, I suppose?

7 Likes

Do YOU really believe that the hijab is NOT an indicator of the subjugation of women in Islamic society? Seriously?

Why donā€™t you ask women who are Muslims that question? Iā€™d suspect youā€™d get a wide variety of answers.

4 Likes

Better yet, ask their husbands.

2 Likes

Yes, those of you who trot out those ā€˜factsā€™ have a high correlation to those who are prejudiced against Islam in a way which, because other facts are precluded, does seem more than a little phobic.

3 Likes

Should I send my husband in to answer for me, since clearly no one will take me seriously here?

8 Likes

[quote=ā€œburllamb, post:69, topic:80742ā€]
Oh, I am sure they really really enjoy being treated like second-class animals[/quote]
So stop treating them like that with your aggro colonialist dickishness out of the ā€œdear Muslimaā€ playbook.

8 Likes

I believe that drone strikes are a sign of subjugation.

6 Likes

A head scarf (hijab)? No. No more than a turban is an indicator of the subjugation of men in Sikh society.
The full-face covering (niqab)? Maybe, but I live in Canada, and Iā€™ve seen women wearing them off their own free will. Even if it is an ā€œindicator of subjugation,ā€ itā€™s still their choice whether to wear it or not.
The shape-concealing full-body covering (burqa)? I would say thatā€™s definitely an ā€œindicator of subjugation,ā€ but if a woman wants to wear it of her own free will, I still support that choice.

5 Likes

True and complete freedom from the shackles of ideology.

2 Likes

It isnā€™t a black and white thing. Certainly it could be considered part of a form of subjugation in some cases, but not in others.

3 Likes