US drinking water is a "toxic soup" of "forever chemicals"

“Forever Chemicals” is one of my least favorite mall fashion chains.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me started. The removal of PFOA/PFOS from groundwater effectively increases the price of water produced and treated from groundwater basins and distributed to your homes and businesses throughout Southern California. I mean, forget about the multitude of existing Superfund clean-up operations stemming from historically poor aerospace industry operating practices and waste disposal cover-ups. This particular contamination is widespread, and water utility capital improvement budgets are blowing up as a result of the need for treatment initiatives. The polluters have a head start in this chase. Yes, filtration systems the size of houses need to be installed to remove these contaminants from groundwater just prior to distributing it to our homes and businesses. And, it just so happens, DuPont produces and sells a filter media that is capable of removing these “forever” chemicals from your water. Moreover, these carcinogenic chemicals are also found on the following common household items: stain-resistant carpet, waterproof clothing, microwave popcorn bag linings, non-stick pans, and the list goes on and on. Think again about throwing your kids a foam party.

Perhaps the bright spot is that practically all of us have been exposed to these chemicals… and we are still alive. The monitoring levels of these chemicals are on the order of a few drops of water per Olympic-sized swimming pool–that’s about a few parts per trillion for you math nerds. Or, for you people lovers, less than a person, say, an eyeball, compared to all the people of the world. There is hope. Because the notification levels are so relatively low, everyone who reads their utility bill has an opportunity to inform themselves of the presence of these chemicals coming out of the shower head, close their mouths, and cross off another potential source of cancer from their list.

Maybe you can find one in the @boingboingshop. /s

In all seriousness, the EPA recommends activated carbon or reverse osmosis systems for filtering PFOA and PFAS.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.