US Navy bans hemp shampoos, lotions, and soaps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/10/us-navy-bans-hemp-shampoos-lo.html

1 Like

So don’t even try?

1 Like

This could also be because the nature of their drug testing system is pretty crazy. It can detect alcohol usage weeks after the incident since it looks for the kinds of proteins and enzymes created when the body processes-out the alcohol. Same with things like cocaine, LSD, and mushrooms–their testing systems detect this stuff long after the fact by looking for specific markers rather than the drug itself. So, I’d imagine that the use of hemp creates false-positives that make life difficult.

[Know this because of a Navy friend who was under 21 and was busted for drinking. She’d never consumed alcohol in her life, but drank plenty of Kombucha. The most recent one was 2 weeks before a drug test, and she was called in and accused of drinking under age. She was lucky to be able to get it cleared.]

22 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! My first thought on reading the post was to be mortified that people who confused hemp body products with thc were in charge of anything! Your explanation makes it less scary.

8 Likes

My brother was in the navy for 8 years, and a secondary concern would be all the shenanigans that go on in the military. People getting all kinds of THC infused products which aren’t obviously THC infused instead of CBD or just normal hemp-based products.

This way, they can just say, “Don’t care if it says it has no THC, it’s still not allowed”.

I recall a story about a synthetic marijuana ring (“spice”) getting busted in Gitmo of all damn places.

6 Likes

1 Like

Spice? You’ve got to be kidding.
I didn’t join the Navy cause I can’t swim.

1 Like

Are they still giving fighter pilots amphetamines?

https://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123779&page=1

8 Likes

A far cry from the old days, when every sailor would have tested positive for hemp.

21 Likes

Wait, so they’re going to allow mission-ready personnel have hemp fibers rub against their skin? Like, all day?!

I’ll give it a month before some enlisted dude tries to torch some of their clothes to catch a buzz.

2 Likes

Exactly how many times do you need to wash your hair to get high? I only remember that many of the Marines I served with back in the day needed more washing than they were getting but they had other ways of getting high so I guess it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

This news is gonna seriously dent the mellow of that hippie guy who runs the “Legalize Hemp” table down at Venice Beach, CA.

1 Like

Spice? In the Navy?

proxy-image

(And @technocholer - them were the days. Proper sailing - rum, baccy and the lash!)

8 Likes

5 Likes

No more CBD? But how…

In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease

4 Likes

Well, if it’s to kill people, that’s all right then.

9 Likes

Baccy was just the common medium of exchange. :wink:

4 Likes

First the Royal Navy gets rid of the rum ration, now this.

4 Likes

I thought it was rum, sodomy, and the lash?

5 Likes

I assumed “baccy” was some sort of code, or as @teknocholer suggested payment.

2 Likes