US reports 80,000 new Covid cases daily

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/29/us-reports-80000-new-covid-cases-daily.html

1 Like

I guess when they told us we were turning the corner, they didn’t specify in which direction.

18 Likes

No surprise that we get news of 33.1% annual growth rate immediately after a 900 point drop due to COVID concerns.

What pandemic?

8 Likes

I’m going to go waayyy out on a limb here and speculate that the last eight months or so have demonstrated that several of the shorthand measurements we use to signify the health of the economy might be fundamentally disconnected from the reality of the economy as experienced by the majority of people.

20 Likes

I’m an expert!

4 Likes

Fox News reports this?? What kind of upside down world are we living in now??

10 Likes

May be a sign that Murdoch has dumped Trump. In which case it’s curtains.

Trump: Is there gas in the car?
Munckins: Yes there’s gas in the car!

Get along Kid Charlemagne

2 Likes

I’ve heard that the real problem is all this testing. If you have less testing, then you have fewer cases so mortality rates go down (well…“Covid” mortality rates). Experts say that with fewer testing, the corresponding increase in non-Covid related deaths is purely consequential as long as the Covid numbers are going down.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s just a nitpick to point out that the UK did not “report 100,000 new cases in a day”, but a study that did random sampling/testing of 86,000 people estimates that there are 100,000 new cases a day.

Nearly 100,000 people are catching coronavirus every day in England, a major analysis suggests.

That’s bad (really bad), but it’s still a different number than confirmed cases.
Shit, if there were 100,000 confirmed cases per day in the UK, then the real number of would be even higher.

2 Likes

I believe the technical term for the corner we are turning is a “death spiral.”

4 Likes

Just read the comments and you’ll see we’re still right side up.

2 Likes

Appreciate the offer, but no. No time in my day for that kinda evil.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I wish I had your foresight.

Clever, knowledgeable squirrels agree… and while helpfully force you back toward the thickest part of the limb.

2 Likes

So, that therapy that Trump got, that he was touting as a cure for this? We’re now at the point where more people are getting infected each day than they have total doses of the stuff. Yeah, that’s really going to make a difference…

What gets me is that even the media pass this off as “if you don’t die, you’re fine,” when the reality is often very, very ugly. I was just reading this Twitter thread account of what “recovery” looked like for a healthy 20-something, and it’s scary:

That’s not going to be everyone who got sick, but it’s going to be enough people that there’s going to be a long-term, serious impact on the economy, demands on the health-care system, on mortality rates…

It’s pretty shocking to me. I’ve been waiting for the stock market to take a dive since the start of the year (just because of what covid had done to the Chinese economy), and I keep waiting, even as we have a bigger percentage of the population unemployed than since the Great Depression, shops closed, sales down… The indicators seem completely disconnected from any sort of economic reality.

3 Likes

Every corner we turn brings us closer to the Minotaur at the center of the labyrinth.

6 Likes

Out of date. Yesterday it was 91k. Fouci is predicting 100k days to come. Yay! Herd immunity increases!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.