US towns that pandered to anti-immigrant sentiment had to raise taxes and borrow to cover the millions in losses

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/us-towns-that-pandered-to-anti.html

4 Likes

But why didn’t the councillors have to pay as individuals?

6 Likes

Fascist US towns that pandered to anti-immigrant sentiment had to raise taxes and borrow to cover the millions in losses

23 Likes

We’re all living in that small town now.
And we’re all going to lose.

25 Likes

Always so negative, BoingBoing. Think of the amazing and well-paid jobs that opened up for the white residents of those towns once they succeeded in keeping out the undocumented workers. Stoop agricultural labour! OSHA-free meatpacking! Dishwashing! Cleaning toilets! These towns are Making America Great Again.

21 Likes

TBH, fuck those towns. The only issue is that all of us are going to pay now thanks to Drumpf and the TGOP.

6 Likes

In 2015, a federal judge ordered Hazleton to pay $1.4 million to the lawyers who had fought the town.

That’s the town where I was born. sigh

6 Likes

This seems overly optimistic to me, but I guess we’ll know soon-ish.

8 Likes

Isn’t it clear by now it’s not about jobs for white people or jobs for brown people - it’s about jobs for politicians.

8 Likes

Well, sure. Right-wing populist politicians in America only get their jobs by promising white people the jerbs to which they’re “entitled”.

4 Likes

It seems that the greatest number of jobs trump is going to create will be Lawyers.

4 Likes

#Same as it ever was.

5 Likes

One of the biggest problems in public policy is that the U.S. isn’t creating new ghost towns anymore.

2 Likes

Ghost are bad tax payers and contribute very little to local economies, thus, fewer ghost towns.

4 Likes

Cities that should be allowed to become ghost towns don’t have local economies!

1 Like

What would be cool is if the people he appoints come out and say “We’ll do our jobs based on the law and the Constitution” and ignore the political stuff. I can dream…

2 Likes

It’s not like their going to do the jobs the immigrants do.

Found some links about when Alabama tried this crap

3 Likes

Now for a touch of reality. Elected officials in poorly run corrupt towns often waffle on about identity issues to cover over socio economic issues because they are robbing the place blind. Ohh look they do exactly the same thing at state and federal level.
Politicians defrauding the majority of the population is extremely corrupt scams, always, always start pursuing bullshit issues, blame the immigrants they did it not us, blame unions they did it not us, blame foreigners they did in not us, blame anyone else but the corrupt politicians who caused it, works for quite a while until it all finally collapses.
Nothing what so ever to do with immigrants and all to do with bullshit screaming about nationalism or reproductive rules or family issues or terrorists or immigrants or sexual preferences or blah, blah, blah.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.