Truck owner loses job after driving it town around with racial slur on back window

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/07/truck-owner-loses-job-after-dr.html

6 Likes

I think the headline needs a correction (‘around town’ rather than ‘town around’).

8 Likes

I can believe that someone defaced your vehicle while you were shopping.

What I can’t believe is you drove any sort of distance without covering or smearing or obscuring the giant slur on your back window. The soap or paint or whatever is fresh, right? In there for only 20 minutes?

In short, this is some bullshit.

52 Likes

From the article.

“I don’t know, but I don’t even vote,” said Cordis, who is a registered Republican. “I’m not a racist. All lives matter.”

If you are saying you didn’t write this, that’s not the best way to prove it.

72 Likes

Shopping mall parking lots are littered with CCTV cameras, so…

34 Likes

From the article:

“A social media storm over a pickup truck in Lincoln that displayed a racial slur has resulted in a Fillmore County man receiving death threats, he said Sunday.” (emphasis mine)

Wow, way to massage that messaging, Star Journal. That level of concern for the aggressor might get some of your staff writers positions at the Gray Lady one day.

“Austin J. Cordis, 21, of Ohiowa

We really ran out of name ideas by the time we got to the plains. Thank goodness the Spanish got to the west coast first.

16 Likes

Wow. That is some dreadful journalism. Burying the key (and confirmed) fact between two pieces of wild self-reported speculation that completely undermine said fact. The Fourth Estate is failing this country.

20 Likes

reciepts plz, thnx

18 Likes

Fuckery, even.

2 Likes

Trump 2020’s true slogan?
Despite the absurd “he’s not racist” bs from republicans, it is telling that a story about a sign of “Fuck the N—–s. [U.S. president for re-election]” doesn’t even bother with a half-hearted attempt to distance those two messages or ask why they might be put together.

No candidate since Strom Thurmond has been so openly running on a platform of white supremacy

21 Likes

Ohio is a place name with a native origin (meaning “great river”). I suspect that Ohiowa is another. Every third place name in America is.

15 Likes

I like to think that I have lived my life in such a way that if someone vandalized my vehicle with a racial slur, those who know me and those who work with me would believe me when I said I wasn’t the one who wrote it.

If his employer is ready to believe he did this to his own vehicle then I have no reason to think otherwise.

45 Likes

He was in the mall “about 20 minutes” and came out to find the message written on the truck’s back window. He claimed to have observed other vehicles also “marked up.”

LOL. Bullshit. Don’t be a fucking coward on top of being a racist.

Hypothetically, if I came out and someone had marked my window with that, I’d take out my pocket knife or ice scraper and scrape it off. When someone wrote slurs on the mail box by my house, I got Goof-Off and wiped it off. I sure as fuck wouldn’t drive around like that.

27 Likes

It’s plausible that it was vandalism.

It’s also plausible that a racist behaves cowardly and won’t own up to what he’s done.

18 Likes

Ah, you’re probably right. I grew up near Lincoln and was always dismayed at some of the names. Lots of middling presidents have counties and towns named after them out there. Just assumed this was a product of that same lack of imagination.

4 Likes

24 Likes

“It was a typo. I meant to write I EAT ASS.”

6 Likes

A Stromsburg woman who has a 15-month-old child with Cordis, said she has also received death threats. A tearful Josephine Ewing returned a call from the World-Herald on Sunday to say she and Cordis are no longer in a relationship and she doesn’t know anything about what was written on his truck.

This is the kind of shit that makes me think doxxing alone should fall under a federal CFAA-type law. His ex didn’t have anything to do with it and probably got the hell away from him for a reason, but the Internet goes after her and the kid too?

17 Likes

Clearly his co-presenters did it, just like on that legendary episode of Top Gear.

11 Likes

You’re welcome!

27 Likes