USA Today writer begs Biden to pardon Trump for the good of the country

I think if Biden went around pardoning Trump for ALL his crimes, even just the federal ones, he wouldn’t have much time to get anything else done.

9 Likes

Trump family motto: Never stop criming

4 Likes

They could have taken the lesson from excusing the Confederates, who went on to found the KKK. America has a long history of going easy on right-wingers and it all sucks.

15 Likes

Nixon not going to prison is part of how we got T****.

…from prison? Because Nixon was going to be impeached and then convicted in the Senate. He didn’t resign magnanimously - he resigned at the 11th hour before being impeached and tried.

11 Likes

I think that’s very true… but I also think that that outcome was not obvious.

7 Likes

I admire a lot of things the Quakers have done. They seem to have a habit of staying on the right side of history. So it breaks my heart that the first modern Quaker president was Nixon.

10 Likes

If Biden pardoned Trump would then complain that the governors weren’t pardoning him for state crimes. He would also say Biden pardoned him only because he wanted Trump to help him politically, because all Trump understands is transactional behavior, and because Biden and/or Hunter would need pardons when HE was president again. There is no historical record of Trump being gracious, or thinking of principles bigger than himself.

5 Likes

I dunno about that

We were all hoping Reagan would get impeached over Iran-Contra, and just like with Nixon, that seemed like such a big deal that the subsequent trial felt like it would just be a formality

Now we know better about what really happens :disappointed:

13 Likes

… well, he did resign

Unlike his GOP successors he understood shame

8 Likes

We, the People, didn’t know Reagan had Alzheimer’s when he testified before Congress. When he said “I do not recall”, turns out he wasn’t lying. Certainly there were members of Congress who knew, and I suspect that’s why he wasn’t impeached.

8 Likes

But hey, DC roads got paved for his funeral.

That’s say’n something.

6 Likes

He was pretty impaired, for sure

but he was also, as a public official, responsible for what happened on his watch

Removed for war crimes or for medical incompetence, either way he should have been out

Of course, GHWB was next in line so :confounded:

14 Likes

For sure if there was ever a time to use the 25th Amendment, Reagan was it. But, yeah, GHW Bush. :rage:

10 Likes

He was definitely going down. Watergate was very different from Iran-Contra in that Nixon’s own recorded words doomed him. He taped himself doing crime and more crime trying to cover up the other crime.

6 Likes

Hmmm…

6 Likes

When Did Reagan's First Signs of Alzheimer's Appear? | Psychology Today

How Close Did Lesley Stahl Come to Reporting Reagan Had Alzheimer’s While in Office? Very Close. – Mother Jones

7 Likes

Ford pardoned Nixon, and it cost Ford the election. And he had it coming. It set the stage for presidential impunity.

7 Likes

Montini has been spouting this sort of nonsense for years. Most people here in AZ don’t take it seriously.

1 Like

Ford entered office with an unusually high approval rating, especially considering he was never elected as either VP or President. Yet eagle-eyed observers may notice that something seems to have changed the public’s perception of Ford early on in his Presidency (black line, superimposed against Biden’s approval rating for comparison).

Something tells me Biden isn’t eager to take a 20-30 point hit on his approval rating for the benefit of a guy who doesn’t recognize Biden’s legitimacy and is actively calling to throw Biden in prison and stage a violent coup against the United States government.

8 Likes

right? and the whole reason biden says he ran was because of ■■■■■’s behavior. that’s not really a let bygones by bygone position. not when ■■■■■ is still the same person, doing the same things he always has

6 Likes