Usage of the word "guys" as a generic, non-gendered colloquialism for a group of humans

I had to Google it. The first response was the Urban Dictionary usage for “girls” somewhat like Aloisius mentioned. Second was the wiktionary page where it’s listed as Old English and Germanic, as you said. I think we might be forgiven for not being as familiar with it as we are with guy and man.

Merriam-Webster’s site doesn’t even list guma.

1 Like

Comare, (godmother/mistress) OTOH, mutated in goumada and then further into Goomah/Gumah.

Proto-Germanic/OE root for “Groom” , like, bridegroom.

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you both.

But if it’s an old English word that nobody uses, why bring it up?

I am confused.

Not sure when it went out of common usage, I’ll bow to @MarjaE’s far superior knowledge here.
I’m all about the slang, capisce? :wink:

1 Like

They aren’t laid back enough. They suggest a certain formality that’s not in keeping with the ethos of the land of the endless summer.

3 Likes

you is plural, thee is singular.

4 Likes

You can really get a long, lazy, hazy, late-afternoon sun-kissed drawl out of a casually deployed “Duuuuudes!”

3 Likes

Just let the Lebowski flow through you…

3 Likes

Dude can mean so many different things, depending on intonation, duration, etc.
And then there’s this:

2 Likes

Suppose you need to refer to one, or several. Guy isn’t gender-specific. Man isn’t specifically-enough gender-specific. Male is too clinical and gets into debates about which biology matters. Dude is too narrow because it could refer to a certain sort of male person and a different sort to the speaker and to the listener. Guma seemed like the right word for this…

Claiming an Old English word is perfectly good English is just… wrong.

Her for se here of East Englum ofer Humbremuþan to Eoforwicceastre on Norþhymbre, ond þær wæs micel ungeþuærnes þære þeode betweox him selfum, ond hie hæfdun hiera cyning aworpenne Osbryht, ond ungecyndne cyning underfengon Ællan; ond hie late on geare to þam gecirdon þæt hie wiþ þone here winnende wærun, ond hie þeah micle fierd gegadrodon, ond þone here sohton æt Eoforwicceastre, ond on þa ceastre bræcon, ond hie sume inne wurdon, ond þær was ungemetlic wæl geslægen Norþanhymbra, sume binnan, sume butan; ond þa cyningas begen ofslægene, ond sio laf wiþ þone here friþ nam.

You might as well claim Old Norse and High German as English too. Throw in some Old French for good measure.

1 Like

Well I’m 40, and I can roll with ‘peeps’, no problem. Open to puns when you want folks to look at something, too.

As for ‘folks’, my old man always referred to his parents as ‘the folks’, and at some point I considered its connotations and decided I liked them a lot. Its quaintness is actually a bonus IMO, when you factor in some pinko baggage - to my ear it’s a subtler and more effectively subversive version of ‘comrades’ (which always sounds a bit off to me).

4 Likes

Ustedes is just a plural you, which can be a bit rude if not used carefully.
Vosotros is gendered, and archaic, at least in latin america, maybe the Spaniards use it I’ll let @Ashen_Victor wheigh in on that one.

Edit:

Curiosly, personas means people, which is a feminine pronoun. So you can refer to a group of men with a plurarl her (ellas) if you mean to call them people.

All of them = Todas ellas
All of those people = Todas esas personas.

Dude!

2 Likes

Is it a Midwestern thing? I grew up in the SF bay area and I remember “guys” being used fairly generically in the 1980’s in mixed gender groups.

1 Like

You’re channeling @popabawa4u again.

Also, when referring to the parentals I say “my folks.”

1 Like

Really? Am I the only one who uses “muchachoids”?

2 Likes

Do you know how hard it is to reply to any post that begins with “am I the only one” anymore without posing the reply as a question? What has that thread done to us?

3 Likes

I do! I hate it when people ask such questions! XD

I don’t know, is there a list available somewhere with this information?

1 Like