Usage of the word "guys" as a generic, non-gendered colloquialism for a group of humans

What thread?

4 Likes

I wasn’t singing, guy!

Why are you so tense, guy?

2 Likes

I’m not your guy, friend.

2 Likes

people don’t usually accuse me of being a redneck, but if that’s what you think, I’ll try not to hold it against you
: )

1 Like

Some people say “you’ins” or “yinz”.

1 Like

As a Santa Monican in my youth I have over 1500 ways of saying “dude.”

6 Likes

Anyway isn’t it spelled ‘guise’ and pronounced “guy-eyes”?

as in

Or ‘everyone’, especially when bearing glad tidings. Of death.

3 Likes

I’m not your friend, buddy!

2 Likes

What do folks think of languages that rely on masculine and feminine variants of words? The few I know all default to masculine as the generalized term.

I don’t know that Esperanto is any different or I’d demand we all begin using it immediately.

3 Likes

As for myself, I think gendered language is daft. It’s daft enough when referring to people, but when referring to inanimate objects, I rage over it. I don’t like gendered pronouns either, which is what I mostly encounter in English. This I address by using pronouns less, since I think their use is lazy anyway.

Spanish defaults to male as the generalized term, it also allows and sometimes requires both genders be mentioned in a single sentence

When referring to a generalized group you could use the male pronoun but referring to a specific group requires mentioning both the male and female forms otherwise its considered rude.
Collective nouns are gendered as well, so that means that men sometimes need to be referred to using female nouns.
Not better, just different.

Don’t learn Spanish.

It kills me, because I love much of the structure of Latin-influenced language.

French, German, Russian, Hebrew as well.

1 Like

I’m not your buddy, pal.

2 Likes

I have a professor who always addresses groups of people as “friends”…

I call myself and my lady friends “guys” all the time. Like “Lauren is the gender guy, I’m the music and cold war guy…” My family came from the north east, so we always said “you guys” at home while everyone around me said y’all.

4 Likes

Speaking of “Hey you guys!”:

10 Likes

I would’ve figured that “todas esas personas” would mean “All those persons”, while “toda esa gente” would mean “all those people”.

I suppose all those persons is perfectly valid, but seems to have a legalese feel to it, whereas all those people seem natural.

I’m by no means an expert in Spanish. I just have a love of languages.

I hate when people do that. First, it sounds horribly unnatural. Second, I have never experienced anyone who is actually my friend address the group I’m in as “friends”. It’s usually someone I don’t really know attempting to gain undeserved familiarity.

Although someone who isn’t my friend addressing a group I’m in as “friends” isn’t nearly so bad as the one-on-one interaction where someone uses “my friend” as their turn of phrase. Especially when we’ve just met.

My internal dialog immediately goes to “This stranger just said ‘my friend’, referring to me. I wonder what scam they’re running, and how fast I can get out of arm’s reach of them.”

2 Likes

Exactly. Although, in CA “y’all” is a bit twangy. I often use “you all”. It might sound like it’d be awkward but it seems to work fine.

We need vosotros.

1 Like

I prefer “youse”

Kidding - i like “you all” or if I’m feeling twangy, “y’all”. I really don’t like “you guys”.

1 Like