USB hub for laptops includes Ethernet port

[Read the post]

This suits a need I only recently identified :smiley:

1 Like

We’ve been using these for the last six months or so to connect Macs to our company wired network. Work great, highly recommended.

2 Likes

…not sure if USB Hub with Ethernet port, or Ethernet port with USB hub…

3 Likes

USB extension cable that features two additional USB ports and a bonus ethernet connection.

2 Likes

I have an Anker unit that looks just like that. The USB hub works great for connecting an Apple ethernet dongle… which I have to since the Anker can’t keep a reliable connection going. Here’s hoping this unit sucks less.

Is this for people with more money than sense? I have a non-Apple laptop and it has all those ports built in. Is that what lightning is really for: connecting to outboard widgets that give you the ports you want back?

2 Likes

Given I’ve got a CR48 as a backup machine and it has no eathernet port? This is useful to me.

Edit: Also can splice it onto a raspberry pi zero, because Why Not?

2 Likes

One the drawbacks of slim laptops is no Ethernet port, I was just in the market for one of these and went with the Anker.

I like that the Anker is black and it has a removable usb3 cord which makes it pack down slimmer. As a bonus, in a pinch, you could use the still rare usb3 cord on another device.

If you’re going to be constantly on ethernet it may be silly to get a laptop without ethernet built in but … if you’re mostly not going to be on ethernet, it’s kind of a waste of space to have it built into the computer.

So the desktop I built has ethernet and no wifi. When I shop laptops, though, I don’t look for ethernet. What I specifically look for (on top of RAM, CPU, video, etc.) is a lack of optical drive. I rarely ever use an optical drive and when I do I have a nice external one that suits my needs.

When I don’t need it, I’m not lugging around a 15.4" laptop that weighs five pounds from all the things I generally don’t need on a laptop. I haven’t once missed the built in optical drive on either of my two most recent laptops (one mac, one PC) and I haven’t felt a need to buy a USB ethernet connector either.

Didn’t use the ethernet on my third most recent laptop either. Both it and the optical drive were both there. :laughing:

3 Likes

A little trick I have learned with these is that since they are powered over USB, I just plug the cable into its own hub. This way it generates electricity from nothing while still having room to power two additional devices. And now with a bonus RJ45 ethernet jack, I can also use it to power the entire internet. How dope is that?

4 Likes

Is there one with a microUSB/MHL plug? And with an HDMI port and 2 USB ports and 1 ethernet port? This would instantly make my laptop obsolete and I could use my phone instead.

1 Like

A mere <3 is inadequate to express my admiration of your notion.

I used a version of this, made by Diamond (of old videocards fame) with a Lenovo Ideastick 3000, a Windows 10 HDMI stick, which has crappy wifi.

I used some from another manufacturer. They were faster than the Apple lightning gigabit adapters, but unfortunately stop working if the Mac goes to sleep for a while and will only work again after a restart.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.