USDA approves shipping slaughtered chicken to China and back, says you can eat it

It was shocking to say the least. One day I’m giving her some new treats she loves, the next she’s suddenly vomiting gouts of blood all over the bed. If it wasn’t for the 24 hr animal clinic she wouldn’t be here now, and when the vets told me that they’d been seeing this with lots of dogs who’d eaten specific treats, I was beyond furious, and very paranoid now about where her food and treats come from.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Not an unfounded fear (obviously). We stopped stocking anything at all with Chinese components (food, treats, etc…) in the clinic because of the wide variety of brands that were impacted. The only way to stay safe was to ensure that no ingredient had ever been in China.

1 Like

I don’t know if this makes any difference, but the article BB linked to as the source had linked to another article as its source that was dated June 10, 2014. So more than 4 years ago, back when our President was a better, different man.

https://livingtraditionally.com/usda-board-shipping-u-s-chickens-china-processing-re-entry-states-human-consumption/

That article links to the Eco Watch home page as the source, but I tracked the original article to here:

https://www.ecowatch.com/usda-to-allow-chickens-from-u-s-to-be-shipped-to-china-for-processing--1881870191.html

With a followup article from July, 2015 here:

But the good news is, we’re not likely eating U.S. chicken by way of the Far East. Even though a similar process is already being used for U.S. seafood and outsourcing labor to China might be desirable for some stakeholders (China’s chicken workers earn about $1 to 2 per hour), lobbyists and chicken industry proponents argue no U.S. company will ever ship chicken to China for processing because it wouldn’t work economically.

If this is something that has been in the works, and just been approved by the current administration’s FDA, I understand talking more about it now.

If it’s actually already been going on for the last four years… hmmmmmm.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.