Use this shocking gadget for mosquito bite relief

Here’s one for even less at aliexpress, that has the added benefit of awesome ad copy:

Relieves the irritation of mosquito bites in minutes. Does not help with bites of a bigger nature that are probably a lot more irritating, like big grizzly bears or an angry rhino.

4 Likes

Scratch them. Power not to scratch them. Scratch.

#SCRATCH!!!

Um… Sorry… heh…

Carry on.

1 Like

DEET is a registered pesticide. DEET is short for N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (also known as N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). It is a member of the toluene chemical family. Toluene is an organic solvent used in rubber and plastic cements and paint removers. DEET is absorbed through the skin and passes into the blood. The Medical Sciences Bulletin, published by Pharmaceutical Information Associates Ltd. reports, “Up to 56% of DEET applied topically penetrates intact human skin and 17% is absorbed into the bloodstream.” Blood concentrations of about 3 mg per litre have been reported several hours after DEET repellent was applied to skin in the
prescribed fashion. DEET is also absorbed by the gut.

For adults, Health Canada has now banned products with DEET concentrations over 30%, citing health risks.

Ummm…no need for this. Dab a little of this on the bite as soon as you notice it and the entire thing will disappear in ~15 minutes. Plus its got 1001 other uses. Not to be confused with the watered down crap typically on the shelf. http://www.amazon.com/Aloe-Life-Skin-Herbs-Ounce/dp/B0011DV7O8/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1440701783&sr=8-3&keywords=aloe+life+skin+gel

Baking soda + water. Make a paste. Apply.

My ex, a healthy man in his 40’s at the time, caught spinal meningitis from a mosquito bite. It really changed the way I looked at mosquitoes (previously: annoyance, now: death threat).

So many people have concerns over DEET and this time of year I get all my friends posting “natural mosquito repellent” recipes, but meningitis is really scary.

I think you need to balance your risks. It’s unlikely you would use DEET so often it’d be a real risk, but the wrong mosquito biting you can be deadly.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/deet-safe-use

6 Likes

There’s definitely saftey issues with DEET. The 98% DEET stuff is a greasy liquid balm you rub into your skin. It has a pungent odor and strips the ink off of plastic bottles.

Once you rub it into your skin, you’ll smell like DEET all day, but the smell goes away after about 12 hours. Then the next day when you work up a little sweat it comes right back out and the smell is there again. It’s actually really effective, because the concentration of DEET on your skin is during the times you look most attractive to mosquitoes. But yeah, it’s not something I’d apply more than once a summer maybe.

1 Like

One of the things I’ve tried which did not work. I’m just one of the unlucky few who attract mosquitos and horribleness ensues with no relief.

1 Like

Denature them insect saliva proteins! (also for those less risk averse, a lighter heated penny works just as well [just don’t heat it too much or you’ve now got a cool Abraham Lincoln scar)]).

2 Likes

Well, first you put on a gimp suit THEN the 98% DEET.

2 Likes

Or don the chemical warfare protection suit, and skip the DEET. The suit will prevent you to be smelled by the mosquitos, and the ones that by chance will get close enough won’t have the oomph to drill through the rubber.

2 Likes

It does make it difficult to eat your picnic though…

3 Likes

What? You don’t have a neck-positioned airlock on your hazmat suit?

1 Like

No. There’s definitely NOT safety issues with DEET. It’s been tested a whole bunch of ways.

Yes. It is a “certified pesticide.” That’s what you want when you use something to repel pests.

3 Likes

Man that sucks. Um, ammonia? Try that one?

I guess yes.

I have whatever mojo attracts mosquitoes too.

1 Like

We also use a Therapik Mosquito Bite Reliever. It uses an infrared bulb to create heat. Bonus! it looks like a Star Trek next generation type 1 phaser! via Amazon

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.