User experience shittery

Also, don’t shift in the seat to wipe on those industrial toilets, or it becomes the world’s worst bidet.

3 Likes

That’s a GE microwave, isn’t it? I have that one at home.

I still get annoyed with the left knob on the left pair is for the front burner, while the left knob on the right pair is for the rear burner.

It’s for wrinkle-free fabrics (polyester; treated cotton) but I don’t understand why it helps. I usually use it, though, figuring that less heat (“cool down” at end of dryer cycle) means less wear-and-tear on the garments. But having just given it a minute’s thought, personally I air-dry anything made out of synthetics and don’t usually wear treated cotton.

Also, when you encounter an inexplicably sealed-up doorway (e.g. filled in with bricks or other masonry), put a sticky note that says “For the love of God, Montresor!” (I got this idea from a comic strip when I was at UT-Austin, where someone had done this)

6 Likes
5 Likes

…and then tells any number of shady corporate entities all about your thermostat-setting habits. And sits on your wifi network just waiting for someone to hack it.

Being able to schedule temperature changes is alright, but I’m pretty happy with a dumb knob.

1 Like

I have a Sears thermostat that presumably came with the house (built 1995). It has a scheduling function and, so far as I know, doesn’t share its info with anyone. Its clock runs fast, though… (And thanx for the reminder, I need to reset for DST)

This has come up elsewhere in BBS, but:

I gave a lightning talk on the organizational decisionmaking that went into this design. I’m sure it was a deliberate choice.

4 Likes

IIRC, the TRS-80 Model 4 had an RS-232 port on the bottom of the unit. Radio Shack conveniently sold a compatible desk with a hole through its top to accommodate this.

2 Likes

I’ve been tricked in exactly that manner. I no longer go to that gas station.

3 Likes

I have a fantasy about a computer case where all the ports are in the front.

2 Likes

r3gmvhnvqbm21

They make the “NO” link almost impossible to see.

9 Likes

Stealth Acknowledgement

1 Like

/r/assholedesign is filled with great and infuriating examples of intentionally bad design patterns.

6 Likes

FYI

4 Likes

16 Likes
  • at former work, where one employee would cook mon/wed/fri for the team, the stove had touch-buttons integrated into the glass ceramic surface. Doesn’t feel great to have dials without haptic feedback near the… hot parts, but nothing compared to the bug that moisture would trigger a long press, and consequently a BEEEEEP and error mode. Display said “h”.
  • For a semester we lived at a hotel-like dorm franchise, that was secretly 70% unfinished when we moved in. Similar button situation as above, but worked exactly once, then we had to use a rag to push the buttons, skin (no matter how dry/wet/clean/dirty) wouldn’t work.
5 Likes

Normal mode: strong agitation to wash, strong spin to wring out;
Permanent press mode: strong agitation to wash, gentle spin to wring out without causing piling or wrinkling with man-made fabrics;
Delicate mode: gentle agitation to wash, gentle spin to wring out.

You’ll notice I said nothing about temperature. A lot of machines will suggest what temperatures (wash and rinse) should be used, and may even block some (you often can’t use hot in gentle, no matter how hard you try), but in general you can mix and match temperatures as you see fit.

3 Likes

It doesn’t help that “permanent press” is weird mid-century code for something that no one calls “permanent press” or even thinks of in those terms anymore.

5 Likes

Ever tried the “Oath” opt-out process on a mobile device?

Also, every other GDPR dialogue.

3 Likes

My god that’s amazing. It’s like 90% instructions and utterly impenetrable.

2 Likes

I just keep clicking “I’ll do this later” (in my browser, anyway).

1 Like