Extremely cheap microwave oven has Alexa, listening

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/extremely-cheap-microwave-oven.html

2 Likes

This will send Trumpanzies over the edge, again.

3 Likes

13 Likes

The “babysitter puts the baby in the oven” urban myths will need updating.

“Alexa, cook this raw eight pound baby…”

12 Likes

I do like baby back ribs

10 Likes

This isn’t correct. The microwave doesn’t have Alexa built-in, or even a microphone. If you own an Echo you can connect it to this microwave using Bluetooth, and pressing the Alexa button on the microwave makes the Echo start listening in ‘microwave mode’ so you can say, e.g. “a jacket potato” and it starts cooking using a preset.
If you don’t own an Echo, or haven’t connected it, it just works like a regular microwave.

11 Likes

I’m sorry, as far as I can tell this isn’t a dual-voltage unit; 120v power supply only.

4 Likes

“Sorry Bunbain, that’s your third cup this morning and your doctor wants you to watch your caffeine”

How’s my anemia?

“Your doctor still has you on a high-iron diet.”

Alexa, reheat this bowl of forks please

10 Likes

I haven’t used one, but “cooking potatoes” is literally a description from the product page.

1 Like

This needs to be higher. This article makes people more confused, which is kind of the opposite of what journalism is supposed to do

So like you have to be right there to put things in the microwave, how hard is it to push a few buttons while you are right there as well?

Alexa heat up 2 tons of creamed corn!

11 Likes

Amazon says it’s $60.

I guess it’s more that the UI of microwave ovens is a bit of a minefield—mine comes with a full-page table that you have to use to look up different foods, power settings, times, etc. So using voice control skips all that complexity.

2 Likes

Isn’t it just “keep pressing ‘+30 seconds’ until hot?”

11 Likes

that works for me.

4 Likes

It’s a meta joke: “jacket” is slang for a type of potato, yes, but the country where it might be heard uses 220v.

4 Likes

Edit: @roomwithaview beat me to it.

2 Likes

You think this site is ‘journalism’ eh? Interesting.

5 Likes

Amazon might think it is… :laughing:

3 Likes

My microwave has controls that only program the time and power level. Very effective UI. It assumes one knows how to cook things using a microwave (for which I thank it).

Then again, it is a few decades old.

I’ve looked at replacing it, but cannot fathom any modern microwave UI when I’ve been faced with them at friends’ houses or guest houses / holiday lets. And I do not trust them to know the weight/volume or how I want things cooked. Having been microwaving for some 40 years, now, I think I know best (of course).

I.e. @mclemens is correct. :wink:

3 Likes