USGS seismologist previews action flick 'San Andreas' and the resulting tweets are hilarious

They gave you this critique during the actual movie? I wouldn’t want to go to a movie with them either. And by “with” I mean in the same theatre as them. Why won’t people just shut up and watch the show?

On suspension of disbelief, I can happily do it for the main premise, but the ongoing niggles of unnecessarily bad science wear me down. As do the relentless and implausible coincidences that lazy writers use to advance the plot in movies like this.

2 Likes

In general, yes. But for this one, I’ll give her a pass.

I’d probably enjoy that if it were the fifth or sixth time I saw it, but the first time? I’d karate chop the both of 'em with my hands on fire.

1 Like

Faraday cage cages?

Wait, I thought Superman flew faster than light to travel back in time, to rescue Lois before the earthquake.

1 Like

To a lesser extent, better avoid the Hoover Dam as well. It has seen its share of disaster movies too. But I was surprised to see cars driving over it in the preview for this one. Traffic has been banned on it for security and safety reasons since they built that bypass bridge a few years back. Maybe they re-open it to cars on special occasions, such as for earthquake swarms.

2 Likes

Is there any water left behind it to make a flood?

1 Like

I know the Oatmeal is highly controversial here, what with Matt Inman being an incorrigible dickweed on certain topics, but I really do love his idea for movie theater layouts:

2 Likes

I can’t remember the quote exactly, nor who said it (I have the gut-feeling it was Asimov), but it goes something like this:

“Truly good science fiction should only ever ask the audience to accept one implausible thing. Anything more is hand-wavium”

4 Likes

It’s a pretty good rule for the rest of fiction, too…

1 Like

Stoned 'tis best
So first roll your own
'fore The Rock bares his chest
In the Subduction zone

3 Likes

No Walter Matthau getting steadily drunker in an outrageous hat=no sale. There is only one Earthquake.

Including the genre of fiction known as “politics”

Not to mention all those earthquakes on the bridge of the USS Enterprise throwing everyone from side to side.

1 Like

Yeah, okay, Ms. Seismologist. Some valid points there but you’ve got a lot to learn. For instance, everyone knows the #1 rule of earthquake safety is DO NOT fall into the chasm.

edit: sorry, re the OP

On certain mornings, winds would make much of the South Bay also smell like Gilroy… I loved that!

1 Like

Back when ‘Twister’ came out, a bunch of friends and I got stoned and went to see it. It was AMAZING. I’ve chosen to never view it again to preserve the experience. :wink:

I was laughing so hard at the preview for this in the theater I was crying. You know how people in LA really act in a big quake? We stand there wondering if it’s gonna stop or … should we get under a table? I guess maybe we should? Oh, it stopped.

I never saw that movie. Living through the filming of it was more than enough suspension of disbelief for me.

On the other hand, in that made-for-tv miniseries 10.5 that was on NBC about 10 years back, they set off a nuke in “Gilroy”‡ to try to stop the titular temblor.

‡ It had an awfully Pacific Northwest vibe (pine forest, overcast, large streams) for central California.