USPS issues circular, textured sports ball stamps

And what about “The Sport of Kings”… Bowling!!

4 Likes

The stamp itself is something like legal tender, and they don’t want folks making photocopies of the images they release. (And no, I don’t know how adding a strikethrough line solves that.)

1 Like

Not sure if serious…

If not, well played. But just in case you are serious…

Why “forever”? Since 2006, USPS First Class postage no longer comes in denominations. You buy a First Class stamp now, and it will be valid for First Class use “forever” (or at least until [Kevin Costner is forced to take over as Postmaster General](The Postman (film) - Wikipedia after the nukes fall). I remember when these stamps first came out some “enterprising individuals” speculatively bought them in bulk not realizing that postage rates largely track inflation so other than any possible collector value, they will never be worth more than they originally paid for them.

As for “why FOREVER”, that’s just a simple anti-counterfeiting measure. Just like how when you see high quality photos of paper money from official sources they have “specimen” watermarks.

4 Likes
1 Like

yeah… Cricket, Pingpong, LaCrosse, Field Hockey, Bowling, Bocca, Croquet, Pool, Squash, Racquetball, Polo, Water Polo, etc. etc. lots of other sports with balls. I assume some were eliminated from the list due to lack of familiarity in the states…

I read it the way you first interpreted it… one is good, the other is better.

I have trouble believing that anyone has ever gotten picked on in the playground or during gym class over which browser they used.

But seriously, these stamps are ultra-cool. I love stamps, they have that retro vinyl feel already because of email.

1 Like

I don’t much care about sports themselves; but they have an…unenviable…record when it comes to making themselves obnoxious in various ways. Every last Hometown Hero or winning coach who turns out to have enjoyed de-facto impunity during a string of ugly offenses; every ‘public/private’ stadium deal that always turns into a sweetheart subsidy, the festering pustule on labor relations that is the abuse of ‘student athlete’ in the more popular college sports; and so on. Extra credit for a few decades of soft-pedaling the evidence on ‘brain damage is bad for you’ to ensure that the players remain available.

If sportsball were just a hobby it would be rather churlish to be against it. Unfortunately, it’s behavior is closer to a religion without an establishment clause to keep it in check. That’s annoying.

2 Likes

Well yeah that’s true but if it wasn’t sports, it would be some other bullshit. Humans just do these things. It’s in their nature.

2 Likes

Well, not really in the post, but it seems I recall a pattern of negativity here in general. Not that negativity isn’t somewhat deserved, but it seems a bit one-sided. And if someone liked both sports and the designs, one might say “I like these even better than the sports themselves.” If a single page of designs, however good they are, exceed the entire value of the sports themselves…then that says something about the person’s opinion of the sports.

Are you suggesting that I should hate the players rather than the games?

2 Likes

I think these stamps are fun.

I liked these commemorative coins when they came out a few years ago, but the Mint wasn’t letting them go for 50¢ apiece - or even a dollar, at the local post office. (Some countries do sell their commemorative coins through banks and post offices.)

1 Like

The original Ponzi scheme involved International Reply Coupons so the idea of profting by postage rates has a long history.

2 Likes

I’m a very casual sports fan. Mostly baseball, but I like college basketball and football a little too. I have nothing against sports, and certainly not because of an animus against playground bullies or whatever.

It’s the sports fans I don’t like. I’ve never been really clued into the sports-as-male-bonding thing. For me, sports are interesting to watch, but that’s all. Besides, I’ve lived across the street from a MLB stadium, and whenever there was a game, those assholes would treat the neighborhood like their own personal trash can for 6-8 hours.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.