USPS nearly always lets law enforcement spy on Americans' mail without warrant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/26/usps-nearly-always-lets-law-enforcement-spy-on-americans-mail-without-warrant.html

9 Likes

Contributed by Natalie Dressed

9 Likes

Yeah, the current interpretations of the 4th Amendment are pretty cop friendly. That’s the direct result of the makeup of the Supreme Court, and I don’t just mean conservatives. Even on the liberal side, former prosecutors have been disproportionately represented. That’s why I was glad to see Biden nominate Jackson, because she has experience as a public defender. She is, in fact, the first Supreme Court Justice with experience as a public defender. Unfortunately, she has recently sided with the majority in a couple of cases that went against defendant’s rights, so…it sucks. The entire system rests on the premise that as long as the police and prosecutors are acting in “good faith”, then any mistakes they make are incidental and ignorable. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Miranda abandoned completely some time in the next few years.

16 Likes

This is a big part of why anti-choicers want to revive this zombie law.

9 Likes

Yep. Remember kids, only stuff INSIDE the envelope is protected. Everything else is fair game.

7 Likes

Are they ever going to be embarrassed.

5 Likes

The USPS says they x-ray packages:

2 Likes

*inventories stash of old Mylar baggies from computer parts

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.