USPS suspends mail to impassible "sandpit streets" in Florida village

Time for alternative delivery methods
Throw Desert GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

17 Likes

18 Likes

I assume it’s this area that the Google car got about 100m into before it gave up (or got stuck) 15 years ago. Looks lovely!

12 Likes

… some people think “carpenter” is a mistranslation, especially because the Big J talked about foundations so much

4 Likes

… area’s spectacular lack of drainage and road maintenance. This whole fiasco stems from good old-fashioned bureaucratic dysfunction.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d have said the village had gone libertarian.

15 Likes

His Bene Deliverit skills have proven useful.

by boat! That’s a thought.

10 Likes

And they couldn’t resort to the TRADITIONAL Florida mail system from about 130 years ago?
The Barefoot Mailman? Barefoot mailman - Wikipedia

6 days round trip from Fort Worth to Miami. Before there was a road.

5 Likes

Probably the only steady carpentry work would be making crosses.

/s

10 Likes

And hasn’t been fired or demoted.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Just deliver it the way they did it in [checks notes] 2013.

14 Likes

I think you’re right - if you look at the satellite view at that location you can see houses with paved driveways extending out towards “roads” that are almost nonexistent.

5 Likes

“Developer does not build roads to code so the municipality won’t take over maintenance,” is very common, if not the norm in many areas these days.

6 Likes

That was never an official motto or anything. It was inscribed at the NY post office in 1914, and caught on as an unofficial creed.

5 Likes

No drainage system? And no paved roads. And somehow that’s not the county’s responsibility? I can’t believe that building permits were issued when the development plan for the neighborhood didn’t include roads or drainage. There is either a serious gap in their construction approval process, or someone isn’t interpreting a code correctly. I don’t know if these people could band together and hire a lawyer, but they should look into it. And that county should do something, even if they aren’t the ones at fault. This is one of the reasons we have governments!

13 Likes

omg! do not get those two things mixed up :scream_cat:

government? where we’re going, we don’t need government!

wait. roads, i meant roads!

Doc Brown Fly GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

10 Likes

According to Citrus County Commissioner Holly Davis, each homeowner would have to pay roughly $109,000 to cover both the street paving and drainage work.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Died in a tragic carpentry accident.

1 Like

Bike Crash Fail GIF

8 Likes