✌ Victory! ✌

Some of you might remember that my high school senior is in the non-enviable process of applying to college. April 1st (in most cases, although she did have an Early Action acceptance too) is the standard acceptance date, and then there are admitted student events at the schools during April, and then May 1st is the deadline for the student to make a choice. She went to two of these overnight on-campus events for the two schools she felt were her best choices and then spent time thinking and talking about how those visits clarified her perceptions about what it would be like to be a student at those schools.

Today is Friday. On Tuesday, she came home from school and said that since it was obvious to her which college she should accept, she was ready to do so. I reminded her that I had said whenever that point came, she was to wait 24 hours before officially notifying the chosen school. So we talked about it at some length and then she went off to do homework. On Wednesday, she came home from school and we were going to sit down at the computer (there’s a non-refundable deposit involved, and she’s just barely under 18, so I have to sign off on some things) but life interfered for about an hour and then she had too much else to do. Instead, she came home during the day on Thursday and we did it then.

So, officially, she is going to college! For anyone keeping track, she made the “obvious” choice: the highest ranking school that accepted her, which is one of the top in the country, and because it is a university rather than a college she has options if she decides to change her major (which would have been harder at the small colleges).

Friends are congratulating me, but honestly I’m just relieved that the process is over! At this point, as long as she doesn’t flunk her English class (all her other classes are above and beyond graduation requirements) – and she currently has a solid “A” – she is graduating and starting adulthood with at least the next 4 years sorted out. Whew!

25 Likes