Vaccine-caused illness cured by hidden TV cameras

3 Likes

Therein lies the gap between “intentions” and actually understanding how you communicate with the outside world.

Ultimately you don’t care, keep presenting that awesome person image with zero-insight I guess.

:blush:

The difference between us is that when someone tells me that I’m denigrating a group of persons with my speech, I don’t double down on the offense to protect my pet sexist terms, I’d hope I would have the insight to realize where my intentions might just be fuckered.

3 Likes

A rare case of Munchausen by dubstep.

4 Likes

Well, ok, suppose wiktionary has a definition of ‘Thrower’ that says “An individual who engages in offensive speech and then doubles down when challenged.” And then when I call Donald Trump a Thrower, I can say “I don’t mean to be offensive to Trump. I’m just using Thrower in the colloquial sense, a guy who says dumb things.”

None of those things change the fact that that definition and use of “Thrower” are offensive to Throwers, and that by using the term in that sense I continue to uphold the stereotype that Throwers can be pretty rude.

2 Likes

Besides that comparing some sexist terminology to something more value neutral is only going to be useful to point out that more value neutral insults can be used, and the gulf of context between them, not to justify slut-shaming.

In addition, the massively childish attachment to the old terms of hate over anything else. I stopped using “retarded” years back and felt the same attachment pangs of familiarity, but fuck that aspect of myself, I’m better off not promoting those “values” in speech.

4 Likes

I am in no way offering a defense of the term “attention whore”, I am intrigued by the derivation and history though.

I think the perjorative is in the greediness not the sex aspect. The perjorative word “whore” is not only a sex worker but also it’s perjorative definition, therefore “whore” = “sex worker” = “person who will do things I wouldn’t for money”

Swap out money with attention in that last sentence and you have your analogy.

Still wrong, but maybe the wrongness is tangential to the meaning intended by the “turn of the phrase” (yet rightly removed as it’s not a good word)

1 Like

It’s telling that you don’t call them an Attention Capitalist or an Attention Scrooge, then.

Your framing is irrelevant to the message you are stating. It is a whore, a woman that sells or gives away her body that is the lowest figure in the insult. Lower still than the target of your insult, because at least they’re not a woman who gives their body to another in a way that another disagrees with.

If you intended a different meaning you would use the actual wording that matched your meaning. The issue is that your intentions have more in common with you feeling good than using the proper terminology, context, and target for lazy insults.

The sexist context that comprises it is also the reason for both its popularity and why people feel such apprehension at seeking out alternatives.

It is very effective at putting forth a negative impression of someone, primarily because “whore” continues to be a word with power, and dancing around this doesn’t do anyone any favors.

1 Like

That all said, my sexism-free choice would be “attention-soak”, because they just can’t get enough of it.

2 Likes

71 posts and only 25 pertain to the actual topic while the rest debate the tautology of the phrase “attention whore”

This is what I love (and hate) about BB!

(But I’m not disappointed…yet!)

Edit: Etymology - not Tautology. Apologies to all the pedants out there!

13 Likes

It is. Let it go. Just walk away. I have a few close friends that are sex workers. They will never let an asshole see that their words have hurt them but they do hurt because they are people. Instead they will cry later to their close friends. Don’t be that asshole. Or I guess be the asshole and own it and don’t pretend to care about these fellow humans. Your words speak volumes about you and nothing about them. Your choice.

Edited to add: In all fairness I have over the years said some pretty offensive things. I didn’t mean them to be hurtful and usually they were meant to be funny, or I just mindlessly repeated some phrase I had heard. When I was younger I would argue to convince the hurt person why what I said wasn’t really hurtful. Thus shaming them for their very valid feelings. I have learned over time to as briefly as possible say I am sorry and then shut up. Don’t defend myself. Don’t explain myself. And most of all don’t drag the incident out. It won’t help you or them. Sometimes silence is the best contrition.

9 Likes

I was asked what I meant by a phrase, and I explained what I understood it to mean and what I meant by it. This after already agreeing to cease and desist use of the phrase and explaining that I intended to insult no one other than the dope there in the video.

I have no time for being told what I think. If it makes you feel better to assume - ney insist - that I’m an immovable sexist that hates prostitutes and everything they stand for then have it, whatever gets you through the day.

1 Like

Pretty much. Sometimes I don’t think abut what I’m saying or think I’m expressing something totally counter to my words and “deepest intentions”.

It’s good to get past one’s aura of self-bullshit and be a better communicator.

1 Like

Keep on never analyzing oneself and assuming that I’m calling you some sort of irredeemable sexist versus pointing out rightly that we’re all programmed regressively by society, and it’s within our power to sidestep the thoughts and words that come to mind.

You can represent yourself and your values however you want. And people will know you by your messages and not some silly “true soul and intention” concept.

I’m not beating up anyone for using it, just the gyrations offered to justify continuing to
use it when the etymology and context of the insult is broken down.

I apologise for having a discussion about the phrase - next time I’ll take the first objection to anything I say at face value and avoid critical thinking.

Night all.

Why start now?

I’m 46 and still learning to be the best person I can be to those around me. I still make mistakes all the time. I try to not take criticism personally but it’s tough to not react emotionally. I try to help others get past the knee jerk defenses that never go well. And I don’t mind shining a light on my own faults if that helps them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which would be fair had I not agreed to stop using the phrase literally 2 or 3 comments into the discussion.

Explaining my understanding of the phrase in a wider discussion is not gyrating.

Fin.

1 Like