Vaccine-caused illness cured by hidden TV cameras

Honestly I agree.

It’s certainly the last time I’ll use that gif…

You’re a good egg, but I hope you come back with a suggestion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right, so and so is a shitty person, but not so and so is just like [someone else society looks down upon]

2 Likes

I see what you did there.

1 Like

No, it really isn’t concern trolling.

Try to find instances of the term used toward men. You might find a few, but they’re few and far between. It’s pretty much only used as an insult toward women.

And I can’t even think of what the corresponding male-gendered insult for men would be - because men are basically expected to be self-promoters. Women advocating strongly for a cause or viewpoint are dismissed as seeking attention for themselves (with a side of slut shaming thrown in); men are taken at their word that they are promoting their cause and not themselves (and anyway to the extent they’re promoting themselves self-salesmanship is just part of managing your own success, right?).

8 Likes

Removed that gif. It’s borderline (and the discussion is great, no-one’s in trouble) but I found it just a smidgen too easily encountered in a bad way.

POLITICALLY CORRECTED

16 Likes

I mean it’s kind of inherently gendered. But like ‘drama queen’ it can be used pretty universally.

Or not, as it shall be.

2 Likes

The issue with ‘attention whore’ is that the term is an insult to sex workers. The word ‘whore’ is already a pejorative, but even if it weren’t, use of the phrase would (I presume, accidentally) insult a whole class of people – I’m not clear exactly what ‘whore’ signifies in the phrase ‘attention whore’ but it’s safe to say that it doesn’t signify anything good.

Consider, for example, if I referred to Donald Trump as being “A real Thrower”.

1 Like

Kiiiiind of. I mean, there are male prostitutes as well. But men don’t get called “attention gigolo” or “attention rent boy” ot whatever. (Come to think of it I’m not sure if “whore” is inherently female-gendered when referring to actual workers, but it certainly seems to be when implying that women who are not actually sex workers, are in some way metaphorically prostituting themselves)

So, is there a male-gendered counterpart insult for attention-seeking men (I can’t think of a commonly used one off-hand)? And, if you can even think of one, would it be as nasty as calling a woman a “whore”?

2 Likes

In a way that doesn’t also attack any perceived “feminine” characteristics in their presentation.

You could just call them “Trump-kin”, but seeing a they’d likely find it a good thing, it’s hard to find an existing term without preying on persons they perceive themselves as better-than.

3 Likes

I agree re: pejorative; but the other issue I’ve covered. It alludes to a behaviour, it’s not suggesting that prostitutes are in any way ‘lesser’, that, IMO misses the phrases meaning entirely. It’s more like ‘cowboy builder’ (stop degrading cowboys!) or grammar nazi (eeeeh, maybe a bad example).

If my name had some association with floppy hair and walls then that would be an apt phrase.

I don’t personally see it as a particularly gendered insult, and would have used it as readily had blomange-body been a dude.

I don’t doubt that you’re correct though, re: it’s usage, I’m sure it’s more often aimed at women; which is actually a more interesting discussion but way off topic :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, sorry, I’m not meaning to beat a dead horse here, but I’m actually intrigued. What behavior, in particular, is ‘whore’ alluding to in this context?

2 Likes

I understand; it’s just my initial reaction was one of horror thinking that they’d had every moment of this person’s life on tape, inside that person’s own home, for months. I’m gratified to hear that that wasn’t the case.

3 Likes

Definitions of the phrase differ, as you haven’t read half of my comments (else you’d had seen the discussion re: ferocity), how about:

“An individual that routinely solicits attention through inappropriate tactics and provocation” https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/attention_whore

Do you guys think the role of the word ‘whore’ is to act as an interchangeable pejorative? Like I might as well be saying ‘attention asshole’?

3 Likes

Flu shot between the eyes?

Lacks the quid pro quo “sell out / neediness” quality of the former

2 Likes

Check the date. Rob’s finger is on the pulse of 2011 yet again.

1 Like

You’re absolutely incorrect. It attacks the behavior by tying it to a low status position.

The insult isn’t the behavior, it’s being like a whore, which is made to be worse than the asshole in the story. She might be a lying fraudster, but at least she’s not a whore is what you are saying here.

That you don’t want to accept this is irrelevant to what you want to say here.

Think more about what you want to portray and that your “intentions” may be irrelevant to what you are actively choosing to say. It is the entire content of the statement, and while you can imagine a difference, structurally there is no difference and you are not decontextualizing the statement.

“Whores are ‘bad’ and this lady is nearly as bad as a whore”

1 Like

relevant

3 Likes