Originally published at: #vanlife 1987 Dodge campervan edition | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I know I’m not that tall
I know I’m not that smart
But let me drive my van into your heart
Let me drive my van into your heart

2 Likes

No, this van is none of these.
That would be a windowless, white van with the words ‘FREE CANDY’ written on the sides…

ETA:
That said, if you have a van, you have a place to live.

9 Likes

Is there a “serial killer” version? Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

right? i don’t get how ALL vans got broad-brushed into “sketchy creeper vans,” when everyone knows that it’s the windowless white ones that are the models preferred by serial killers. what savvy serial killer would drive around in something so easily identifiable as this one?

6 Likes

van2

6 Likes

How in the Sam Hill do you know that? Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

The Dodge however is likely a lot easier to keep running

is a phrase that has never been said before.

4 Likes

movies, amirite??

2 Likes

Hey, my 1992 Dodge Ram based Roadtrek is still going strong. Can’t say that about many 29 year old vehicles. We drive it 3.2k miles every winter to Key West (among many other shorter trips). We’ve had some work on it, but nothing heroic. Biggest issue was a stutter when trying to use cruise control and/or very light acceleration at highway speeds. Compared to what I hear it takes to keep a VW bus on the road, it has been a relative dream. Go watch Kombi Life’s Youtube channel for an example.

2 Likes

Has this guy never never been in a camper before? “And here’s a cabinet! And a sink! And to use the sink you turn the handles and water comes out! And look here, a table with places to sit and you can sit at this table and do all kinds of table-y things like, eat, or play cards, or sit at the table! And here’s a light! And you turn this on and LIGHT comes out which allows you to see in the dark so you can do things in the dark that require light like read, or see, or look at something! WOW, FOR 1987 THEY THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING!”
It was like the youtube version of my 8th grade essays that required 500 words so you just drag everything out.

3 Likes

It will be just the ticket as long as you dont want to actually drive it anywhere. Look to get about 7 to 11 mpg with the relatively trustworthy but not very well engineered 318/340/360 small block LA motor in it. Due to the head and block design there is nothing that can be done to improve the efficiency of these motors beyond a certain point.

Exactly. His videos usually aren’t bad but this one was rather cringeworthy.

Good luck with the tranny.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.