Vegans sue Burger King over meat contamination of Impossible Burger Whopper

From the previous thread about this (and perhaps @orenwolf this one needs merging with that one and its 148 replies!)…

… I seem to recall that BK actually do offer to cook it separately (in a microwave?) if asked by the customer. It seems they are already as accommodating as anyone might reasonably expect, especially given that they are not advertising a vegan or vegetarian meal., just a ‘burger’ made without real meat.

ETA that thread is now this thread and nobody actually confirmed the microwave thing, they just mooted it, now I’ve checked.

4 Likes

Fundamentalist vegans:
let’s reconcile
the paradox of
‘my life as meat’.

vegans%20are%20strange

3 Likes

I would assume the condiments alone make it not vegan. Mayo is a default one unless you ask. But I don’t remember the item being labeled as vegan friendly by BK. Am I missing something here in terms of adverts?

1 Like

Don’t quite believe you about the gluten.

Happened to me. Ate a beyond beef burger and got an allergic reaction afterwards. Allergic to soy.

1 Like

I’m amazed how food threads are more contentious and full of heightened arguments than even political threads.

Meat eaters don’t like cognitive dissonance that they’re eating murder, or contributing to an endless holocaust of suffering by factory farmed animals. Oh, they really don’t.

Meat eaters (ethical/hunters) don’t like being lumped in with the factory farm meat eaters.

Vegetarians (ethical) don’t like meat eaters’ insistence to mention how good meat is at any opportunity, or fielding “but you eat chicken, right?”

Vegetarians (health) are pretty fucking tired of telling people that getting protein isn’t a problem.

Vegans (ethical) don’t like people who sit down to eat the moral equivalent to baby cannibalism.

Vegans (health) are just trying to find something that doesn’t have goddamn bacon in it.

Thanks. You can close the thread now.

1 Like

You’re not a weirdo, you’re kind of a purist. No shame in that. I prefer things to be what they are as well. When I eat a veggie burger, I prefer it to look and taste like vegetables.

1 Like

Maybe they are more contentious because of fatuous generalisations like yours.

No, as a meat eater I have no problem with this.

Whereas I DO have a problem with this:

Not a moral or any other equivalent. Cannibalism is eating one’s own kind. I do not eat human babies or do anything that is the moral equivalent. YOUR morals may differ. I don’t have a moral problem eating the babies of other species, bred for that purpose.

Now you may close the thread.

4 Likes

Let’s close it out with this think-piece about meat.

https://www.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/prose/text/thinkingMeat.html

1 Like

He’s utterly adorable…and he’s also delicious.

5 Likes

I notice how you didn’t quote this. The cognitive dissonance is showing.

Oh, they really don’t.

The real problem here is the idea that any one person thinks they have all the answers when it comes to human behaviour.

The guaranteed way to trolley everyone and ensure one gets the attention and replies many so dearly crave is to make sure you have a post where every position is painted in a negative, tone-deaf light.

14 Likes

So that is an actual real issue.

A&W, etc may see a drop in their MEAT burger sales then, if they can’t guarantee that their meat burger have not been in contact with an allergan. I suspect that they will decide that it is more profitable to stop offering vegan burgers if they are faced with a) dropping meat burger sales b) putting in dedicated vegan burger prep areas and grills or c) lawsuits if they do b) and staff don’t abide by protocol and someone has an allergic reaction and sues.

1 Like

No, I have no cognitive dissonance whatsoever. I prefer to eat free-range, natural grown meat to factory farmed but that’s just my preference. Many don’t have the chance or the financial luxury to make that choice. Sometimes I eat factory farmed meat too. I repeat, I do not have any cognitive dissonance about this, despite your claims to be able to see into the minds of all meat eaters originally, and now mine.

But go ahead and point out what we already know about factory farming, as much as you like. It won’t induce any cognitive dissonance. Perhaps that’s what you really don’t like?

2 Likes

They should have had a sign on the restaurant: we’re not a vegan restaurant. Just in case a place that reeks of flame broiled meat didn’t tip anyone off.

I can’t really do the place because everything is contaminated with gluten. I had problems even when I risked an order without a bun. They didn’t make any claims that they could make something gluten-free for me, so I accept that.

Is the Impossible Whopper “100% Whopper 0% Beef” ? Probably more than 0% if they’re not going to wipe down the griddle between orders.

If you have a beef allergy consider it to be contaminated. If you have a theoretical aversion to food categories, don’t go to fast restaurants that could potentially offend your emotionally invested belief system.

If it sounds harsh, it’s because I don’t have a lot of sympathy in light of my personal experience. I pack my meals or have a soda as my “meal” because of my own medical problems result in two or three days of an unpleasant reaction when I screw up my own diet.

2 Likes

That’s not a very generous description. And rather dismissive of something that is pretty complicated and likely to remain a slice of our culture forever.

Veganism is definitely based on personal beliefs. There is a philosophy to it. And people are very emotionally invested in their own veganism.

I disagree with so many people on their personal beliefs. When I’m an a-hole about it, it’s not helpful and I don’t feel good about it. When someone’s dietary regimen doesn’t inconvenience me significantly, then it’s very easy to live and let live, and I can pat myself on the back for learning to get along with different people. I have zero problems eating a vegan meal, I’m not a picky eater. so if there is tofu and kale, I’m happy. Especially if any of it is roasted or deep fried. If I were more picky, I might be pretty cross if I went to someone’s house expecting meat and potatoes.

3 Likes

Food is more polarizing than anything else. I don’t think anyone here can honestly deny that factory farming is a real bitch, that there’s a stupid obsession with bacon, that ethical vegans have a moral obligation to talk about veganism, and that the rest things I posted are true. Fuck, look at this very (lengthy) thread. All this shit has already been discussed in it. That post is a roundup if anything.

The observations are hardly tone-deaf or “the answers”, they’re just abbreviated – this is every thread about food.

If you find yourself to be triggered by the observations, rather than call me into question, look in the funhouse mirror that is your beliefs. Everyone’s got their hill to die on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ lol my point exactly

wait are you a robot

1 Like