Velcro doesn't want you to call it 'velcro' anymore

Fucking hook and loop.

4 Likes

Yeah, it has. The point of the video wasn’t lost on me, my point is that it’s too late. It’ll take a court case in some near future to sort it out, but it’s generic now.

7 Likes

Sucks for them that they slept on this move for so long. Hook n’ Loop has already been established as a subsubgenre of underground EDM. I mean, it makes sense that they haven’t heard of it yet, not many people have, I mean, I’ve known about it for like 3 years…

6 Likes

A few weeks ago I was selling some velcro products and ebay pulled down my sale due to a complaint from the Fucking Velcro trademark police.

After reviewing your eBay account, we’ve taken the following action:

• Listings have been removed. A list of items that were removed can be viewed at the bottom of this message.
  • We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Your listing was reviewed after receiving a report from the rights owner that your listing used their trademark without their permission. We urge you to contact the rights owner directly for more information about why they requested the review of your listing and whether you can relist the item.

For more information on our VeRO program, please visit:

If you have more questions, contact our policy experts:
http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr

Please be sure your current and future listings follow these guidelines, keeping in mind that additional violations could result in the suspension of your account.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Velcro Industries B. V., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

We encourage you to contact Velcro Industries B. V. directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to:
brandprotection@mm-velcro.com

8 Likes

Or Dry Ice.

Or Trampoline

Or Videotape

Or Flip Phone

Or Escalator

9 Likes
7 Likes

Yes, indeed I referred to that list. And yes, Velcro is currently considered “Trademarked but used generically.” I am OF THE OPINION (since everyone needs more clarity apparently in what I am saying, for which I blame myself) that it is sufficiently generically used now that the trademark would be revoked in a court case, as with the section of that list that describes similar product trademarks where this has happened.

2 Likes

Don’t call it Kleenex or Dixie Cups or Vaseline. But you can…legally.

2 Likes

Too late. Also calling it hook and loop as the generic term is just inconvenient. I would be all for calling it something else as long as it was a simple word or combination of words but hook and loop does not roll off the tongue.

4 Likes

One has to love that contradiction of people complaining that “corporations are not people”, while yet consistently attributing to them the actions of living things, such as survival, wants, fears, etc. If you can’t remember to refer to them in terms of being a financial instrument or organizational structure, you might loose the trademark for “people”!

5 Likes

Other music videos are available on the subject:

2 Likes

I would suggest that relying on a very badly sourced list of what a bunch of people on the internet think are generic and not protected terms is a very BAD IDEA™.

There are a bunch there which are claimed to have been declared ‘generic’ in court with no link to any information confirming it and in the one case I checked the registration certainly still stands (Sellotape).

That certainly is the generic term for adhesive tape in the UK. That does not mean it is not also a registered trademark.

You can call any tape Sellotape if you want. You can’t sell or market your tape as Sellotape though.

3 Likes

I thought the latest thinking is that corporations are people…

3 Likes

The first company in Japan which produced hook & loop products called their product Magic Tape and trademarked the term.

1 Like

I think there’s a huge difference between referring to the actions of the heads/lawyers of a company in the voice of that company (i.e., “Velcro [the businesspeople] don’t want you to call it ‘velcro’”) and giving a company the rights normally given to individuals. One is verbal shorthand, like saying “the White House” when you mean “the President and his administration”, and the other is a legal distinction.

9 Likes

How, after so many years of this crap, have we not come up with a better legal framework for generic trademarks? Newsflash to brands: This is what overwhelming success looks like. You won. If you want to keep winning, be better than the copy cats that come out when your patents expire, or else invent something else new.

9 Likes

Someone quick. get me a kleenex so I can velcro it to my copy machine. I need to make some xeroxes and I do not want to get tears on them.

1 Like

Or aspirin
Or linoleum

4 Likes

Be sure to clean the toner cartridge with a qtip, and if you cut yourself doing it, there’s always bandaids.

7 Likes

These lawyers need a Q-tip to clear out all that wax. They’re hard of hearing. I also need some febreeze over all this bullshit smell. Perhaps they’re looking for blood so someone get some Maxi pads.

4 Likes