Verizon buys AOL for $4.4bn

[Permalink]

That’s the first time I’ve seen “game-change” as verb.

2 Likes

This, exactly.

I’m very confident that somewhere, some accountant has the exact numbers available for the dollar value of the monthly revenues from people who are still getting an automatic deduction from their bank account for a dial-up service they last used in 2005.

And I would be willing to bet it’s a hefty chunk of change.

4 Likes

But what about Shingy?

3 Likes

Please, please, please, let VZ experience a repeat of the ‘brilliant’ AOL/Time Warner synergies…

7 Likes

He’s safe. Shingy took the old adage that ‘the graves are full of indispensable men’ to heart; and succeeded in making himself so magnificently dispensible that death itself has removed him from its disposition matrix.

6 Likes

If they were to put Shingy under the last manager that I worked for, they would drop him like a sack full of warm V.D.

Full disclosure: I worked for VZ, and GTE before that (I voted against that merger). VZ finally laid me off, and I’m still bitter about it 9 years later. GTE was relatively laid back (as corporate cultures go).

Someone needs to create an animation of media/telco/wireless/internet/etc companies depicted as prehistoric beasts that just consume each other randomly along a timeline. That’s the only thing I see in my head anymore when I read these kinds of headlines.

9 Likes

AOL was still in business???

5 Likes

“AOL is back and now we are joining forces with Verizon to build the best media technology company in the world.”

Cue: Infinite laugh tracks

7 Likes

Imagine if Shingy did the recaps for Game of Thrones.

Well, change is a verb, so game must be an adverb. The correct form is “to change gamely.”

I’m saddened by this news, because I don’t hate Verizon as much as I hate TWC, so I can’t really exult in their self-destructive folly.

1 Like

Believe it or not, there are still people that live where there is NO broadband service available and all there is, is dial-up. Don’t be so quick to judge against all the dial up customers. Some of them may actually need the service still. Don’t be provincial, it’s a big country with LOTS of empty spaces and people that cannot afford satellite or whatever.

1 Like

It’s a misnomer, since there are no dials on telephones. Not only that, but dials didn’t go up, they went around.

I’m sure there are some people who still actually use AOL as an ISP. But I’ll bet there are even more people who don’t even own a modem any more but pay the AOL bill because they think it’s necessary to keep their @aol.com e-mail address.

AOL’s 2014 annual report shows that they are shedding subscribers (“The number of domestic AOL subscribers was 2.2 million, 2.5 million and 2.8 million at December 31, 2014, 2013 and 2012, respectively.”) but they’re also squeezing more cash out of them (“Average monthly subscription revenue per AOL subscriber was $20.70, $19.85 and $18.39 for the years ended December 31, 2014, 2013 and 2012, respectively.”). But these are all very long-term subscribers (“The average paid tenure of the remaining domestic AOL subscribers has been increasing, and was approximately 14.0 years, 12.9 years and 11.8 years for the years ended December 31, 2014, 2013 and 2012, respectively.”). Subscriber revenue is a shrinking portion of AOL’s revenues, but is still significant (it accounted for 24%, 28% and 32% of AOL’s total revenues in 2014, 2013 and 2012, respectively).

2 Likes

Thank you for the prescriptive lecture, but I’m a bit confused…

Where in my post did I say that no one has any need or use for dial-up anymore?

What I did say was that a lot of people are still paying AOL for something they stopped using a long time ago, and that I suspect that’s a measurable and meaningful part of AOL’s revenue stream.

Is it possible that you have conflated my distaste for AOL’s business model with contempt for everyone who uses dial-up?

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t mean the end of AIM.

(Don’t laugh, it’s still better than giving your IMs to Facebook)

We’re frowning at the 99.99% of the customers being scammed by this lurching crapbeast, not dial-up users.

3 Likes

I know people who are in that boat. Dial-up, or a combination of dial-up uploads and satellite downloads.

That being said, I call your attention to the third paragraph in this article:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.