Vermont offers remote workers a $10,000 subsidy to relocate to the state

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/01/visit-in-winter-first.html

4 Likes

I hate working from home far, far more than $10,000 worth. And that’s without the shoveling.

8 Likes

I bet the bitcoin miners would love to work from home.

https://www.coindesk.com/vermontdao-state-governor-signs-bill-clearing-way-blockchain-companies/

5 Likes

A good idea, even if it’s a desperation move for a state that ranks 49th in population (and shrinking). They know they’re not going to get big companies to move there, so might as well try to attract the remote workers who don’t mind the winter and like the great outdoors.

I wonder if Vermont’s power grid can handle the additional load from the mining rigs (according to that article that’s something that the politicians there are not wondering about).

5 Likes

For me, moving to Vermont would be effectively a 31% pay cut, based on on cost of living.

5 Likes

For a fine artist like me, it sounds like it could be a good deal, but I doubt the cost of living could beat Tijuana.

And is that 10k per person worker, or household?

11 Likes

With the way things are heating up on this planet going North sounds like it might be a good idea. Get job in Manchester, N.H. (where most of the business is up there) and live in Vt. Sounds good.

Boston is nearby and the lakes in N.H. are beautiful.

8 Likes

They should be aware of it. Plattsburgh NY isn’t that far away.

7 Likes

I almost moved there with my telecommuting job, already.

Thing about Vermont is, you HAVE to bring a job with you. Otherwise you’re sunk! It’s just West Virginia if there were more snow and thus, more swiss-germans.

7 Likes

So. . .move to New Hampshire?

2 Likes

That’s very interesting to hear, because after working from home for over 15 years it’s non-negotiable for me. I go crazy after a week or two at a client’s office.

I’d take them up on this, but my partner isn’t keen on the snow. Bear in mind that if you live in the northern part of the state, Montreal is your closest big city and it’s great. That’s your international airport, and Ikea, and great food & coffee, etc. Just get a Nexus card.

My only concern would be internet bandwidth in the rural areas of the state. I moved away from there when we were using dial up, so I don’t know what’s available (although I do remember a very fragmented phone company infrastructure).

3 Likes

Currently we vacation there and I’d really hate to ruin it with work!

p33989890-3

4 Likes

If you have a friend that lives in Vermont, I would wager you can start registering for junk mail at their address, then fly for the weekend to get a driver’s license. 2 pieces of mail addressed to your new location is all it takes.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/licenses/new

Make sure you have a copy of your home state’s driver’s license so you’re still legal when you fly home.

Give your friend $1000 of the subsidy.

Free money. Bam.

1 Like

Right now I could do my job from Vermont, North Dakota, NYC, or a houseboat; if I wasn’t a bit tied down with family/dog/house, I’d do this in a hot second. Vermont is lovely.

5 Likes

Something else they could do to supplement this residency scheme is partner with WeWork or another outfit catering to digital nomads to set up a co-working/co-living facility near a ski resort/biking/hiking area.

Or better yet, the state could create a more family- and pet-friendly version of their own for folks like you (there must be old resort hotels that could be re-purposed). There are plenty of people who’d spend 1-3 months a year enjoying what the state has to offer, and the more winter-friendly ones might eventually take Vermont up on its offer for full-time residency.

5 Likes

Absolutely — Vermont has vast swaths of wilderness area. Giving me 10k to move there is great, but offering a sort of “how to move to Vermont” starting kit is pretty essential. It should also be noted that the $10k is paid in two installments and is meant to defer moving/relocation expenses.

3 Likes

Huh. I was offered more than that to relo by a company in Phoenix, but after a visit in August (monsoon season) and seeing the scorpions I said no. In the end, they set up remote access with folks in Phoenix from the Philly area. Since Phoenix had already passed Philly as number 5 in city size, they weren’t worried about losing people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.