Veterans remind Pokemon players of memorial park's sanctity by shouting obscenities, punching them

ok, so I’ve played the game a little, I don’t get why you would stay in a location and set up tents. I thought the point of the game was to move, not sit and wait. Is there some way to play the game by just sitting somewhere and the Pokemon come to you? Do people just hang around gyms and wait for battles? I’ve read that the advantage is almost always in the challengers favor. Anyway, F both these guys. Two bad examples of two groups that are largely made up of normally, nice, socially functional people.

Was just in Kyoto, where the Yakasa Shrine grounds are thoroughly infested with Pokémon Go players. I suppose it gets them to visit a holy place…

9 Likes

I don’t agree with the “both sides are being equally bad” assessment here. The kids are being indignant and argumentative but that’s to be expected for their age. The old vet though seems to be the main instigator and needs to be locked up for assault and battery.

What’s the point of having a park if you can’t do park-like activities? Lawn chairs, tents, playing catch and running around is the typical use case for any park so I don’t see the justification for outrage over the so-called disrespect and lack of solemnity.

Take any park with a plaque or statue and it’s automatically a monument to something or other. I suppose somebody can take offense to any activity that they perceive as being disrespectful but that’s no excuse for harassing and assaulting others.

I’ve seen families having picnics on their loved ones grave site - is that disrespectful or an expression of remembrance? What are the proper behaviors that demonstrate appropriate respect and should these be quantified for some types of parks vs. others? As long as there is no destruction or vandalism going on then I don’t see the problem.

28 Likes

I know what an evil gazebo is…

Because there’s never a bad time for some HMHB…

2 Likes

Literally, 30 seconds to find:

7 Likes

I stand corrected.

3 Likes

And the Vet-in-the-Hat was heard to say; “I don’t give a fuck,” and, “This is my driveway!”

3 Likes

So much ugliness. And I bet they’re votin’ for Trump.

I’ve posted it before, and I’m posting it again.

1 Like

So that was a previous problem that brought the vets in, who became over-zealous in preventing, well, any use of the park?

2 Likes

The vet who destroyed the gazebo has anger problems, he needs counseling, not jail, and not smug 20 somethings egging him on. But he was in the wrong here. I have no real interest in this AR game, but as long as the players don’t interfere with other people using the public park, they have as much right to their games as anyone. There is no reason to ban them from playing there or to ask the Pokemon company to avoid it.

8 Likes

I don’t know. I plan to donate my body to science or have it cremated if there’s no need. But I would like a grave marker somewhere just so people can have a place to toast to my life. This guy had the right idea…

Grew up in Arlington, VA. You basically can’t throw a cat without hitting a monument of some kind in Northern Virginia.

4 Likes

I’ve never actually been to Arlington National Cemetery, but I’ve heard that it’s pretty much-- well-- a cemetery.

1 Like

Most of the battlefields themselves are pretty much unrecognizable, having been turned into housing developments and shopping malls.

3 Likes

I don’t get this at all. Why is a memorial mutually exclusive? I’m burying my mother on the 9th, and when we went to the cemetery to put flowers on my fathers grave, and to tell him my mother is going to be next to him soon, (Silly, I know.) there were kids riding their bikes through to the big park next door. This cemetery has always had joggers, bike riders, etc. It’s always been fine. It’s a massive cemetery with war memorials, and stuff.

I’m not sure how walking around looking at your phone is any less respectful that what everyone else is doing.

13 Likes

The North fought for your right to low, low prices!!!

But yeah, hardly practical to cordon off everywhere a battle was fought.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s true. My coworkers and I were talking about all the parks and sites we’ve learned since it came out. The hubby is a civil war history buff, and found a civil war veteran cemetery tucked behind a Winco of all things. He’s going out to take pictures today so he can research it’s history.

4 Likes

I remember once someone throwing an online shitfit because kids were playing on a statue that happened to be a war memorial, and shame on them for doing so. They even took a picture. The memorial in question was a statue in a park.

Here’s my rule: Don’t want kids playing on war memorials? Don’t have so many wars that we end up with too many to know what to do with.

21 Likes

Here’s a historical marker from the park, illustrating how the landscape archeology has been obliterated.

Me? I’m just glad it’s a bit of green space.

4 Likes

they are doing it wrong…those two vets really don’t understand how the game is played do they?

3 Likes

2015: Why don’t you kids get away from the video games and go outside. Get some sun, fresh air, hang out with your friends.

2016: Why don’t you kids go inside. Get away from the park, the sun, the fresh air, because we don’t want you as friends.

Yes! And missing an opportunity to have a discussion about our commons, our common lands, our common parks, our common defense, our common rights, and our shared surveillance state.

Pokemon Go is such a great vehicle for discussing what’s private, what’s public, and what’s technology go to do, got to do with it.

Wow. I feel sad that you don’t see people as intrinsically curious learning machines.

18 Likes