✌ Victory! ✌

Frustration. It’s the AGS-001. The screen is dimmer than Donald Trump on a Sara Palin talk show. I thought I was getting a 101. Looks like a return.

3 Likes

11 Likes

That feeling you get when your cat vomits directly on a piece of scrap paper you can throw away.

15 Likes

Son and I were doing last-minute store-bought costume shopping*, and a $1 glow-in-the-dark halloween-candy-collecting-bucket from Party City was enough to bribe him away from McDonald’s last night. He stretched his comfort zone to include IHOP. He ordered the Funny Face pancake (plain, not chocolate), and ate up all the chocolate chips and whipped cream (and pancake) but refused the maraschino cherries. I has the eggs and chicken-fried steak. SO GLAD IT WASN’T MCDONALD’S.

*I AM A BAD MUTANT DADDY

##waiting for dinner

Robin is scowling because he insists Daddy needs yellow accessories, not blue, with a yellow mask. Robin won that round.

(dinner was after shopping.)

15 Likes

Yellow mask and accessories: are you going as the Sun?

5 Likes

Yaaay, me, for figuring pinpointing the single source of multiple bugs yesterday, and fixing it this morning!

Boo, me, for introducing the bug last month.

13 Likes

I wanted a blue wig to go with the yellow mask, but they were $15, so I settled for some not-exactly-pony-tail-deely-bobbers for $0.99.

And I’ll wear my long black leather jacket?

That’s it - a costume. Not a “thing” per se - just a costume.

Hey, @popobawa4u - what do you think of costumes-as-a-particular-thing vs. costumes-as-difference?

8 Likes

10 Likes

Costume can mean practically anything. It can refer to what one customarily wears, or what some other person or group wears.

But with regards to Halloween, I think it is more specific. The idea is that the dead wander the Earth for a night, so one needs to disguise oneself as one of the dead to pass freely among them. So I find the contemporary practice of costumes that are cute, sexy, pop culture, etc to be more cynical because it’s saying “this is what dead people look like”. Sneaking through hundreds of zombies can be cathartic, but the dead being hundreds of pre-teen consumers who think borrowed equity images from television and movies are cool unironically is more depressing.

FWIW, I am so broke and bereft of resources that none of my costume ideas has had any progress yet.

6 Likes

#FTFY 

7 Likes

I suppose that their physical boundaries would naturally be more porous.

5 Likes

my doorbell has a “shut up” knob

7 Likes

So the writing/editing/prep are finished and I’ll be getting a proof of Hedgehog Art Through the Ages delivered on Wed. Yes!

Also:

72 likes/58 retweets - superb!

21 Likes

I have the best topic for my master’s dissertation: translation of humour in the Asterix series. Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge are some of the main reasons I became interested in translation. I was always amazed how they managed to keep so much of the meaning of the texts or compensate in the areas they couldn’t, without making it look like a translation at all. Some of the translations are arguably better than the original: the fishmonger and his wife are called Ordralfabétix (alphabetical order) and Lélosubmarine (Yellow submarine), but in English they’re Unhygenix and Bacteria.

I initially had a different topic in mind, but there’s still time to change it and write a new proposal.

20 Likes

You know, I think that deserves some cake!

23 Likes

#It’s time for some high school field hockey!

4 Likes

I was bummed because I didn’t make it to the store November 1st to scoop up clearance Halloween candy. But we went today, and they had just a little bit left, and I scored the tiny bag of candy corn I wanted. Yes, they’re just little lumps of solidified corn syrup, but I must have some every year! And since it’s just a wee bag I can’t gobble them until I feel sick.

15 Likes

I left the house alone today, went into a building, and interacted with a human without having a panic attack. I am still a tiny bit worked up though.

I am officially “settled in” to the new neighborhood. I can start running occasional errands to take some pressure off of my partner.

32 Likes

You. Frickin. Rock.

That’s all. :smiley:

21 Likes

Took the kitteh to the vet a couple of days ago; I told the doc I thought her mouth might be bothering her, and he pried a couple big chunks of uncomfortable-looking tartar off of her teeth (she’s way too old for real dental work). Possibly a bit of an infection as well. She got some fluids and some antibiotics, and is already eating more (though I still have to mix water into everything). Evidently she’s still not ready to check out yet, and this time it looks like I’ll get to make the Thanksgiving trip.

25 Likes