Video: "A History of Rock in 15 Minutes"

Sure sure the history of rock… whatevs… but what about

The Majesty of Rock!

sorry I just can’t take this “History of Rock in 15 Minutes” seriously

4 Likes

Reads like a “rock” history from a top 40 program manager who has a boot on the back of their neck.

(What’s missed? Pretty much F’n everything.)

2 Likes

Life is a rock, but the radio rolls me…

Well…

4 Likes

Where do I begin? Including the Strokes while excluding Velvet Underground, Alex Chilton, Iggy Pop… this list is more of a CHR history of mainstream rock. Only one Beatles cut & three from Queen? Where’s Jerry Lee Lewis? Chuck Freakin’ Berry? Lemme repeat… (RIP LEMMME) Chuck FREAKIN’ Berry…

2 Likes

Rocket 88!

1 Like

I was so focused on the 50’s and 60’s glaring omissions… that IMHO the inclusion of the Clash and exclusion of a wide swath of their precursors is tantamount to heresy. E.G. the Ramones stand out (for me) as a major omission; they have been oft cited as the inspiration of so many musicians. I would assume that the late Joe Strummer would concur.

1 Like

I didn’t watch it far enough to reach that era, but I was assuming they’d been passed over. that was my band, man. really great show when I saw them.

2 Likes

#The Mystery of Roll!

1 Like

Haven’t seen them live, unfortunately. I caught “Time’s Up” on MuchMusic (our equivalent of MTV) in the late '80s, and said “Oh my!”, went out and picked up the album.

Shortly thereafter, I picked up the late Jack Bruce’s “A Question of Time”, and lo and behold, there’s Vernon Reid on the first track. It sort of confirmed what I already knew: I was listening to very good musicians. I don’t think Jack tolerated any other kind. The two of them collaborated regularly right up to the end of Jack’s life.

1 Like

Time’s Up was their best album, but I damn sure wore Vivid out before it dropped.

I liked how they were such technical players but they still rocked really hard rather than just doing noodly prog stuff. my more musical friends at the show noticed that Muzz broke a string during a song and casually reversed his grip on the neck and transposed the notes onto the adjacent string. they were pretty blown away.

they took a set break and Will kicked off the next set with an incredible drum solo, it was easily 15 minutes before the others took the stage.

Vernon’s projects over the years have been pretty crazy. He was doing straight fusion before LC. But obviously he was born to rock. he played guitars on Public Enemy’s first album, a rock-themed song “Sophisticated Bitch.” He had a pretty neat project I checked into the rotation when I did college radio

Well, when I mention the collaboration between Jack and Vernon, their last project was a Tony Williams Lifetime tribute band with Cindy Blackman Santana, so Vernon still covers the fusion side. Mind you, Lifetime originally comprised John McLaughlin, Jack Bruce and Larry Young playing with Tony, and their second album was titled “Turn it over/ Play it loud/ Play it louder,” which says something about the kind of music they were playing. (Back in those days, I swore that the heaviest metal was in jazz.) :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.