Video about Amazon Go, retail store with no checkout lines or registers

It doesn’t seem to support non-packaged items like fresh fruits and vegetables. That’s a pretty big problem for the way I shop at least.

6 Likes

“Our automatic cameras sense whether you are European descended and can just board your plane and go, or if you aren’t, our helpful security personnel will interview you for hours determining if your initial destination, or another one chosen by them, is best for you!”

6 Likes

Roger That!

Not directly relevant, but this comment

reminded me of this
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/86813997/rob-stock-oh-what-a-lovely-war

Judging from the appearances of everyone in that video, I’m not beautiful enough to shop at Amazon Go. Oh, well. I guess that’s why they have a delivery service, too.

8 Likes

They certainly cater to every flavour of hipster.

That video made me want to jump the turnstiles on the way in like a fare evader at the train station. I wonder how long it takes the Amazon cops to get there and rough you up?

7 Likes

No, no, no! The whole point of my half assed statement was that since there is no checkout the poor regress to where they don’t even know they’re spending money.

Do I have to write this story myself???

Really strong electro-magnets that suck everything you can’t afford back into the store as you try to exit?

Of course there is the restocking fee so they take back one additional item as well.

Sign on the door… “No Faraday Cages allowed in store!”

1 Like

Another addition to the “Places I won’t shop” list. I like Amazon, but if I step into a store I want it to employ people. I don’t use self checkout, and I won’t use this.

6 Likes

Sounds like a solid incentive for not using a capitalist system. As if you needed another reason!

That sounds like a metaphor for the failures of my social life.

4 Likes

Then you probably can’t afford to buy anything anyway.

2 Likes

“Honest Mr. Robo cop, my phone was out of battery! I didn’t know none of this stuff got bought…”

A million times this. A close second is the “loyalty card” racket and it’s bastard half-sibling the “you saved $x.xx” nonsense. Hows about you just skip that insult to my intelligence, give me a legit competitive price without the pretense and we’ll call it a day, mmmm-kay???

6 Likes

Those seem to be going away. Of the 2 grocery chains left that use them, one is tied to a phone number we haven’t had in aeons, the other happily gives out cards with no info and will use a spare to scan if you forgot/are not local/just don’t want one.
The other fun I have is the cards work for other stores. I can scan my Petco card (which I never really shop at anyway) at the QFC. No clue who is getting the gas miles and confusing coupons/special offers but hey anything to fuck with the system.

4 Likes

Just say your number is 867-5309. That works surprisingly often.

8 Likes

But they sell aluminum foil :confused:

1 Like

Nobody has posted this prescient IBM commercial from like 1999 yet? Come on guys, you are off your game!

6 Likes

Dude, shopping and waiting in line is not a pain. Not having money to do so, that’s another story.

1 Like

I love everything about this.

“Five Finger Prime”

6 Likes