Video: Cop unfairly grabs Black woman instead of white anti-masker who was harassing her

Cellphones exist… therefore… :wink:

You are saying that this guy accosted the wrong woman and then had an epiphany that cell phones exist 15 seconds later?

(Takes a deep breath.) Cops are not chosen for intelligence or inate powers of restraint. I invite you to google those if you wish. Otherwise, I’ve posted all I care to share on this.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I’ve misunderstood. We’ve all seen instances of cops acting aggressively and then realizing that they were being videotaped and then changing their behavior. It seemed like you were claiming that that is what was happening in this case. It doesn’t look like that to me. It looks like the cop changed his behavior for other reasons of self-interest. If you see that he observed a cell-phone recording him or believe that he suddenly realized that someone might be recording him without any reason, I can’t argue, but all I meant to say was that the cop’s actions are not super bright.

I’m black, and I’ve been in that kind of situation. This is the essence of racial profiling, my guess is someone reported that a ‘woman’ (likely without specifying race) was causing an issue, and the cop simply assumed that was the one black woman present. I also note the willingness to use physical force on a black woman, and the relative deference shown to an actual angry white woman. Force is seemingly always appropriate when a black person is involved, I’ve been physically tackled by cops a number of times for no apparent reason. In the end, they always said it was mistaken identity, no apology was ever offered.

18 Likes

also known as defending her health and personal safety from an assault.

4 Likes

I know, crazy isn’t it to self preserve in a pandemic, after all “it’s hoax” said some ding dong with a ventilator tube in their throat…

7 Likes

“Why don’t they just comply!?”

1 Like

While watching this video, I’d ask the viewer to consider what happens when there’s no crowd to correct a cop’s assumption. Even the race of the people in the crowd makes a difference. That’s clear in the case of the young girl at the pool party, the student sitting at her desk, etc…

14 Likes

If you mean the footage right before the cell phone footage, that looks like generic b-roll of the airport, not likely taken that same day. Especially since there are no masks in that b-roll, and it looks really generic, probably what they had in their stock footage archive vs someone making the effort to film there that specific day.

2 Likes

It seriously sucks to have one’s life be at the mercy of police who are determined to shoot (luckily in this case only grab) first and figure things out later and who have such obvious racial biases. This dude didn’t spend half a second trying to figure out what was going on before he just grabs the black lady. We’re sitting here trying to analyze the video that we have the time to look over and interpret and this guy didn’t even bother with half a second to figure out who the problem person might be before just going with racism.

If cameras hadn’t been on the guy would be saying that the poor girl was causing just as much problems as the karen and would simply be denying the testimony of the crowd.

Scary as hell.

I feel like I’d be stressed all the time if I knew this stuff was likely to happen to me. Then society acts like minorities have no right to react to situations with distrust when these things are happening. People saying there’s no systemic racism when black people have to deal with the cognitive cost of being constantly alert to possible “authorities” that will abuse their power from stupidity if not maliciousness. It’s not fair and it’s not right.

4 Likes

That is NOT how you de-escalate a situation like this. FFS, is that how US cops are trained?

Your first and continuous goal should be to break the line of sight between the two belligerents. Best is if you and a colleague address one each and slowly lead them away from each other so they can’t see and maybe not even hear the other…

If you are alone step in between (Big bulky man between two women…) or address them together so they talk with you instead with each other.

What this clod did was picking a side (…) and attacking the other (…). That is joining, not de-escalating.

6 Likes

There is a woman berating people for not wearing masks. Surely the person would have explained that to the cop but he goes after the person wearing a mask?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.