Video game movies that didn't completely suck

The only redeeming thing about Super Mario Bros, is that it got the Rifftrax treatment.

1 Like

Pixels is relatively fun and enjoyable if you just accept certain juvenile humor as a given. I think they actually wanted to make a fun homage to old school video games, so I take it as such.

1 Like

I watched Nice Dreams and Dawn of the Dead that way once. I would not recommend it.

I just saw the second one with my 6yo. I saw it two days ago completely sober. I don’t remember a thing about the movie it was so bland.

Just an FYI, a Mortal Kombat movie reboot is in the works. It’s going to be more of a horror-oriented movie.

I think that laugh may be the only thing I’ve ever heard that was more annoying than the ‘most annoying sound in the world’ from Dumb and Dumber.

I find many of these enjoyable, even if they’re not great films. I enjoyed the Hitman movies.

As I said in the Doom thread, I still think my favorite video game movie is Forward Unto Dawn. It captures the gameplay at times while making it feel like an organic part of the film. It’s how video game movies should be made.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the planned Tetris trilogy but only as long as it sticks to the original plot.

4 Likes

The Harry Potter movies were okay but I don’t understand why they did them with live actors instead of the original Lego.

11 Likes

The Super Mario Bros movie is bad, but it’s FUN. Nobody is taking it seriously, there’s some great scenery chewing, and it’s just bonkers and embraces its bonkerituity.

2 Likes

I must disagree, as you left out the hilarious “change the channel” joke and Jean-Claude Van Damme, and everything Jean-Claude Van Damme does onscreen is awesome.

Everything.

Oh, are we including visual novels? In that case, there’s no contest.

(OK, a series rather than a film, but there was a follow-up movie with a theatrical release.)

No love for Tomb Raider?
Well, maybe it’s more of a lust for Angelina Jolie and Alicia Vikander.

Jason Mantzoukas’ genuine delight at June Diane Raphael’s bewilderment is a treasure and gift to the world, and I’ll tolerate no dissent on that.

The first Mortal Kombat movie gets better with age. Mine, not the movie’s. As a kid I wanted something that was as close to the source material as possible. As an adult, I was happy that they hit the special effects with reasonably good production values, added one or two elements (like the very short-lived tiger-themed fighter) that weren’t directly ripped from the games, an got some interesting fights in interesting locales.

I hear the first one ends on a cliffhanger, where a straight piece is sorely needed, but it’s nowhere to be found.

2 Likes

Outside of Bloodsport, which is way better than it has any business being I have to wholeheartedly disagree.

1 Like

No room for amateurs.

Video game movies that didn’t completely suck

I see Pixels is listed, which is very much not a good movie. Resident Evil was… ok, not great but ok though the rest of the movies for it were just flat out bad and had less and less to do with the game series.

Mortal Kombat is bad but in the best of ways. It’s a fun watch.

Hmmm, if i had to nominate a video game movie i would say Street Fighter. It’s… something. But there’s also a great live action SF mini series called Assassin’s Fist that i highly recommend.

1 Like