'Double Dragon' set the standard for bad videogame adaptations

Originally published at: 'Double Dragon' set the standard for bad videogame adaptations | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Have there been any good videogame adaptations?

4 Likes

The Lego Batman movie?

7 Likes

‘HALO: Forward Unto Dawn’ isn’t a masterpiece?

3 Likes

The Mario movie came out the year before and honestly i would say that it firmly set the standard for bad adaptations.

7 Likes

The fan series for Street Fighter is amazing

And for official adaptations i would prob say maybe Silent Hill, though i do love Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter for the camp factor. I haven’t seen the Sonic movie but i’ve heard it was decent… oh and i gotta say i did enjoy Detective Pikachu, i wouldn’t say its especially good but for what it is i really liked it.

6 Likes

I don’t know if that counts since it’s more of a spinoff of the original Lego movie with an emphasis on Batman play sets rather than an adaptation of the game based on the same play sets.

3 Likes

I would say anything signed by Uwe Boll is worse

3 Likes

Detective Pikachu is really entertaining. Not great stuff, to be fair, but fun enough to make the time you saw it really enjoyable

4 Likes

Sonic the Hedgehog
Tomb Raider (2018) was fun I guess
Pokemon Detective Pikachu

2 Likes

Here’s a list. None stand out to me.

1 Like

Oh, I always thought the Pokémon card games predated the video games but apparently not. I’ll take your word for it that the movie was good. I was never particularly tempted to watch the Sonic movie even after they changed the character design to look less nightmarish.

3 Likes

This movie is part of the unholy trifecta of ‘so bad it’s good’ 90’s fighting video game to film adaptations. The others are of course Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat., which have been mentioned already.

1 Like

This list reminded me I still need to watch the final Resident Evil movie.

I have a soft spot for video game movies, although some are bad even by the standards of the genre. Alone in the Dark is a great example of that. I also really didn’t enjoy Silent Hill, but that was more because someone stole my bike while I was watching it.

2 Likes

Yes. You want English language only or are other languages ok? Off the top of my head:

• Mortal Kombat (90’s film was fun with excellent soundtrack)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Street Fighter 2 The Animated Movie (Japanese)
  • Silent Hill (I may be alone on that one)
1 Like

That’s the only one on the list I’ve seen but in regards to it being “good” I’ll just say… to each their own, I suppose.

1 Like

Gyakuten Saiban (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) is the one I usually mention. Alas, it does not seem to have endured.

2 Likes

I still haven’t figured out if the Witcher series is based on the games or based on the books, having never played or read them.

1 Like

Gog was offering thhe first game for free. I’m not sure if that offer has since expired.

1 Like

Good is very relative. Also helps that I saw MK in the theater when I was like 12. I happily admit when nostalgia is a factor, which it is. But others are quite fond of it as well.

1 Like