Video games' "breast physics" issue

Have you not seen The Tenth Victim?

1 Like

The dong physics of Mount Your Friends is pretty impressive.

Isn’t breast physics already a solved problem?

Fascinating. We go from the boobtacular comics of yore, which were said to be a consequence of it being really difficult to draw convincingly small-breasted women in that medium (and really, try it - globular breasts are way easier) to today’s video games, where it’s really difficult and expensive to continue this absurd comic-book tradition that was supposedly born out of lack of artistic skill and/or really crappy cheap publishing technology.

2 Likes

In the world of anime, it’s called Gainaxing, after the studio that combines fairly great stories with really frisky boobs. Remember Bunny Girl? It’s where she worked.

Further reading for your edification.

1 Like

I will do my best to avoid the obvious quips.

If someone’s breasts are bouncing around in a sports bra, it’s the wrong size or type for that person to wear. The point of a sports bra is to stop that motion.

Women with large breasts are not relegated to walking. They make sports bras in larger cup sizes. Also, you can layer sports bras for even more support.

Besides, women choose their physical activities based on what they want to do, not whether or not their breasts jiggle.

3 Likes

While I respect where folks are coming from – discomfort is fair – I
sometimes worry that those well-intentioned lines of conversation bring
the focus back onto women’s bodies as somehow The Problem, especially in
the context of games or comics that are intentionally silly or joyfully
stupid to begin with. It’s not like folks are commonly taking mature
and respectfully-nuanced female characters (or male ones, for that
matter) and simply making them look weird physically

Yeah, that’s the legit nuance here. Body proportions aren’t always meant to be realistic…but I suppose even when they’re meant to be fantastical, you don’t need to make them like an unedited 13-year-old’s wet dream.

1 Like

I must admit I would be interested to see that technique.

7 Likes

6 Likes

My impression is that the depiction of Amazons having sex appeal is a modern variation, and that the classical depictions of Amazons, who tended to show up in stories as antagonists, was more a mix of fear and admiration.

2 Likes

Exactly this. It’s the limited options.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The unrealistic female forms in video games are often called out – but male forms in video game are just as exaggerated and unrealistic.

(Most) video games are about fantasy fulfillment – male, female, robot, cat, whatever – all idealized, exaggerated and fantasized. But no, the presence of big boobs means video game devs are misogynistic hormonal teenage boys.

1 Like

Just model the tissue and the overlying wardrobe (from nothing through sports bra to semirigid and rigid armor - with sufficient momentum stored in a bigger bust even a whole breast plate will have tendency to move, the question of realism is only how much) using finite elements method.

Take the results of the expensive computations, turn them into simplified-but-realistic models. Make a toolkit for parametric generation of bodies, so any type can be generated with just a few variables set. Release the toolkit for Unity and other popular engines, so it is easier to use this generation method than to do it “traditionally”.

Voila, much more character variability possible, and if done in a way friendly to modkits, the body types become way less dependent on the will of the developers. Are you in a niche market segment and feeling neglected? Change a few numbers in the model definition, and you’re set.

A simple way to give everybody what they want, whatever it is. Problem solved.

1 Like

Male and female forms are exaggerated for different reasons though. Female characters are extremely sexualized, while male characters are exaggerated to look crazy big, strong, tough, etc. Both are (straight) male wish fulfillment, with male characters being vehicles of extreme power and female characters being sex objects.

Characterization and overall image play into this too, though. Some of these powerful male characters ARE pretty sexy (at least if you’re into muscles), but they are rarely sexualized by the game or promo art. Instead they are nearly always portrayed as fierce weapons of mass destruction, not objects of desire. Female characters are generally the opposite, with them usually not doing much of anything but lounging around in sexy poses. For a hilarious illustration of this, check out the Hawkeye Initiative.

So yes, there are problems with unhealthy character design of both men and women, but they come from different places.

5 Likes

Perfect. I do hereby dub thee Game Bust Genius General, may your courage and devotion become a shining example to the bust-realism-starved peoples of all lands.

1 Like

What happened to her anyway? I always thought her stories were the preamble to something and then they just turned out to be the story. Sad to hear that’s what the whole arc was about in the end.

1 Like

I remember when Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance cameout it had the typical jiggle physics for all the ladies … and also applied jiggle to a drunkard’s beer gut.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mkwikia/images/e/ee/BoRaiCho.png/revision/latest?cb=20110414223735

1 Like

That’s rather subjective. I would have said that female characters are usually depicted as grotesque and frail. Not what I would call desirable, anyway.

2 Likes

True, true. It depends on the game and creators as well. Either way, they are NOT often enough portrayed as being powerful, or tough, or having agency, or having motivations or desires outside of being a man’s romantic/sex partner. Their character designs are too often very sexualized. Not that there should never be sexualized characters, but when ALL your female characters are sex objects and NONE of the male ones are, it’s a problem.

1 Like