Video: It's as if Elvis Costello wrote this new song last week instead of four months ago

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/video-its-as-if-elvis-coste.html

8 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with the headline of this article.

Wow.

Also, why was I not already an Elvis Costello fan?

9 Likes

Welcome, fellow human of fine taste.

11 Likes

Friend! Are YOU in for a hell of a ride! I’m almost jealous you get to enjoy his work fresh and new.

8 Likes

And try this oldie but goodie, his cover of a timely Nick Lowe song :

6 Likes

Costello’s been attacking the fascists for awhile now. Glad to see he’s still at it.
And this one got played a lot after 45 got elected: Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Radio, Radio - YouTube

6 Likes

like him normally but that little guitar ditty that occasionally pops up in this otherwise OKish song annoys me for some reason. I would rather take his vocals and layer it over the song “Search and Destroy” although I’d prefer THAT to happen using the EMF version instead of the Iggy Pop version.

2 Likes

Hey, don’t worry about it. Accidents will happen.

7 Likes

I feel like the new Bob Mould song also deserves a shout out

Bob Against the Machine

5 Likes

I see what you did there. :wink: Nice!

5 Likes

There are masterpieces through his whole career and he’s always peppered his albums with political thought.

Note (because it has to be said especially if this is your first listen): Oliver’s Army uses the N-word in context of the troubles in Northern Ireland. A White N— was a slur referring to Irish Catholics. The song empathizes with them. Per Wiki, “The song was based on the premise ‘they always get a working class boy to do the killing’”.

I have listened to numerous versions of Alison over and over again. There are many good covers, but Linda Ronstadt put it on the map a year after Costello’s debut album had it. I was ten years old so the song has grown in meaning as I have gotten old…er.

3 Likes

Holy shit. Not enough likes in the world.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.