VIDEO: Man cuts tile perfectly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/video-man-cuts-tile-perfectly.html

10 Likes

Not his first rodeo

13 Likes

“kentucky”?

Am I not British enough to be familiar with that usage?

3 Likes
5 Likes

So, no, I am not British enough is the answer.

7 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8WKNT34a_s

5 Likes

It boggles me to imagine the shitload of tile this guy must have cut in his career, to reach this level of excellence.

10 Likes

And he looks like a pretty young guy too! Talk about specialization in a skilled craft.

3 Likes

Something tells me this guy could prove the hell out of some geometry theorems.

12 Likes

Even after seeing this, if I tried it, I would confuse which marks on the edge of the tile were which. And that completely ignores the difficulty of making the actual cuts straight without breaking the tile.

4 Likes

It would take me a good 10 minutes of figuring out, checking and re-checking, probably at least one round of erasing everything and starting over, before I cut anything.

3 Likes

Kentucky - fitting together nice and snug, in a visually satisfying way.

10 Likes

Well yes, I kentuckyed the meaning from context. Not the question I asked. But thanks.

ETA: Sorry, a cranky moment.

1 Like

No need to dayton ohio the guy.

:wink:

14 Likes

And then there’s still a 50% chance it’d be the mirror image of what it’s supposed to be.

8 Likes

I’ve done a few floors in vinyl tile and wood. The vinyl tile is an easier to cut version of this, but I found it fairly easy to get this result. Then I hired a wall guy to do a floor for me, and he had no aptitude for this type of fitting. So it’s definitely a talent.

Also, that’s not exactly an angle grinder, since it’s fitted with a diamond cutting blade.

8 Likes

… the appropriate way to cut ceramic tile is to grind it down. and there’s angles on the tile. So an angle grinder would be an appropriate tool. :smiley:

Granted, a wet saw would be a cleaner method (as in, it doesn’t throw a ton of silica dust into the air), but it works?

1 Like

Marble cutting has always amazed me (at least since i saw the scale on which they operate)

12 Likes

Interesting how contractors always take off the safety guides from their grinders, table saws and miter saws, to save time. Also, very few wear gloves or safety goggles. Part of it comes form being very comfortable with your tools and procedures. There’s also a little pride in there, too.

5 Likes

It’s still a regular angle grinder, just with a different abrasive disc and removed safety shield. By the way, removing a safety shield from angle grinder is an extremely bad idea. If I did so I would probably be missing most of my fingers on one hand now.

It is typically done this way. I use workshop vacuum cleaner to extract the dust while cutting, otherwise it gets everywhere. I didn’t know that trick with scoring the tile to break it - I was cutting a groove with angle grinder and then breaking off the unnecessary part.

1 Like