Video: Nightmarish clip of a house being washed to sea in North Carolina

In your kitchen, get set to pout.

Maybe they should sublet it.

4 Likes

Jinx! Came here to post the same thing.

Tell me your real estate market is effed without saying it is is effed.

4 Likes

It all honesty, it really doesn’t matter. Even discounting the effects of climate change, the outer banks are constantly changing and shifting. What’s safe behind the dunes today could be gone in a couple of years as storms and waves erode beaches and dunes, and formerly safe property located well back from the shoreline becomes ocean-front lots with no protection. Toss in ocean rise from climate change, and the Outer Banks are the last place anyone should live at this point. That property should be abandoned, and no insurance company (or federal program) should repay for it.

3 Likes

Away! The sequel to Up!

1 Like

You can’t generally pin a single event definitively on climate change. What climate change does is make all the bad things a lot worse and a lot more common. So instead of an outer banks house being washed away once every 50 years, now it’s going to happen every year to five houses, perhaps.

5 Likes

Along the same lines, look at what’s happening to the small islands in Chesapeake Bay (you may remember the heroic efforts to save the last house on Holland Island). There were several dozen islands around 1900, many inhabited. Now there are only 2 inhabited islands left, and they are threatened by rising waters. The rest were submerged over the years, washed away, or are nearly gone. The Army Corps of Engineers is using dredging and backfilling to try to rejuvenate some as wildlife refuges, but humans probably will never live on them again.
Tangier Island, for example. Still has a community, but the island is in trouble.

3 Likes

There was a news report on TV some years ago, in which a reporter interviewed a homeowner who was irate that their recently purchased cottage had been flooded. The reporter asked if the purchaser hadn’t noticed that the property was called “Flood Cottage” on “Flood Lane”?

6 Likes

Maybe they didn’t see the license plates that said “The Flood State”?

2 Likes

I recently sold my house (first time selling a house) and I learned that a lot of people do shockingly little research on an area or a building before buying it. I was happy to take their money, but shocked at how little they knew about the house and the area, and how few questions they had about anything.

6 Likes

With the buying panic going on now, there’s almost no way to successfully bid on a house with conditions, let alone research the community… it’s all, like, sold in two days above asking price. It only takes two days because the owners need to consider nine different offers.

4 Likes

That has been puzzling me for the past 35 years, i.e. all my working life so far. I have no explanation.

3 Likes

Question #1: Is this house built on an Indigenous Burial Ground or a Hell Mouth?

3 Likes

It’s likely the circles you travel in. It’s jarring when you encounter people who not only don’t do their homework but actively sneer at those who do. At a certain point one just has to accept that there a lot more people like this than one’s own personal experience has led one to believe, similar to the fact that there exists a very large number of people out there who are – through no fault of their own – just not very intelligent.

Answer: yes. The name of the hellmouth is Sol III, or Terra. It’s slowly slipping into the same class of planet that Sol II is, the planet known by the indigenous sophonts as Venus. The planet has life, but the dominant sophont species has begun eliminating all other life forms.

3 Likes

My circles are quite wide so probably no.

1 Like

The other one is in Cleveland.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.