Video of cube passing through hole in equally sized cube

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/03/video-of-cube-passing-through.html

6 Likes

I don’t even know what just happened.

18 Likes

A pleasingly counter-intuitive outcome, neatly visualized with 3D animation :grey_exclamation:

Thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

7 Likes

I’m no math or physics nerd … what’s so special/amazing here?

8 Likes

I wonder if the amazing thing here is not so much maths/geometry but the way that language is somehow manipulating our expectations.

21 Likes

Indeed!

It’s easy to assume that the cubes must remain orthogonal to each other, or that the hole must be round :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Olive Garden? Please kill that advert, STAT!

5 Likes

That Rupert fella sure had some interesting hobbies: http://boingboing.net/2008/03/11/curious-property-of.html

13 Likes

I was expecting a video, and all I got was this lousy rendering. So disappointing. :wink:

6 Likes

It was the same Prince Rupert:

9 Likes

I believe he was also the author of the 17th century treatise, “Escape” (The Pina Colada Song)

Although might have been a different Rupert.

4 Likes

If you like Prince Rupert’s cube, you should definitely check out Prince Albert’s rod.

8 Likes

He also owned a shape-shifting bulletproof poodle.

8 Likes

Merely an “amateur” artist, I note. Hmmph. I’m sure he could have done better if he’d cared to apply himself a little more…

:wink:

4 Likes

He died in battle, so he couldn’t have been that bulletproof.

2 Likes

The wiki article got a translation error though. The dog wasn’t called “puddle” but “Pudel” (german for poodle).

2 Likes

I’d be more impressed seeing Prince Rupert get his truncated ellipsoid through mistress Frances.

1 Like

That’s the way it is with poodles. Let the hair grow, and they look one way. Give it a poodle cut, and…

1 Like

He was called ‘puddle’ in this pamphlet from the 1640s:

I have my suspicions that he wasn’t really a shape-shifter, a witch or a soothsayer, either.

3 Likes

Same question here. Anybody who’s moved, well, anything, like furniture, big boxes, pre-assembled framing, you-name-it, knows this. Is this meant to be a stub of some bigger article?

Am disapoint! :stuck_out_tongue: