Video: the lab of the future

[Permalink]

“As We May Think”, Vannevar Bush, 1945

One can now picture a future investigator in his laboratory. His hands are free, and he is not anchored. As he moves about and observes, he photographs and comments. Time is automatically recorded to tie the two records together. If he goes into the field, he may be connected by radio to his recorder.

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem very useful to me. It seems like technology was created that forces the user to accept a new way of doing things, which to me, isn’t very helpful. I guess what I’m saying is that it’s really easy to book a piece of equipment with a calendar or even a piece of tape. It’s easy to see if a piece of equipment is free just by looking at it. It’s easy enough to just go meet your PI in person to show them data. I like new technology and all, but this seems rather useless.

Seems like 95% of the use cases demonstrated have no particular advantage over being viewed from the comfort of the PC in one’s office. In fact, only the counting fruit flies use case actually involved an activity which was not performed equally well from one’s desk. Someone is trying, desperately, to shoehorn this solution into a set of non-problems.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.