Video - the top of the Matterhorn is razor-thin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/21/video-the-top-of-the-matterhorn-is-razor-thin.html

3 Likes

Doesn’t look as dangerous on my Toblerone

17 Likes

Over the last few days, I’ve noticed that YouTube videos embedded here completely lack most of the usual UI. All missing: title, play/pause button, volume widget, current time/total time, settings gear, YouTube link, and full screen widget. Seeing this on multiple browsers and operating systems.

Is this on purpose?

11 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve been on that ride enough times to know that heights aren’t the only danger climbers face.

15 Likes

there is a trail line on Mt Katahdin from Pemola to the Katahdin peak called the Knife’s Edge. Its not this thin, but it is close. Did that a couple times and it caused some puckering while wearing a full pack and the wind whipping across.

3 Likes

Precarious, yes, but not as bad as that camera lens distortion makes it look. The fact that there’s multiple un-roped parties is a give-away that it’s not that bad. Or not that bad to the kind of person who goes to places like that.

14 Likes

This is not particularly palm-sweat inducing to a rock climber. I suspect the camera is distorting it as well, given he is walking along it unroped, and passing other parties.

If you want to see what makes seasoned rock climbers get absolutely soaked palms, watch the film “Free Solo”.

6 Likes

Yeaaaaah, no. I don´t need to do THAT…

3 Likes

Don’t forget Disney’s “Third Man on the Mountain”. I gather the Matterhorn ride derives from the movie.

Thanks for the cremaster workout. Always a good time.

3 Likes

Yeah i wondered how much the 360 degree fish eye effect was distorting it. When the climber goes around another person on the precarious ridge…it was a giveaway that it isn’t exactly tightrope width

2 Likes

Yeah, that wasn’t the view I remember from the time that I climbed the mountain. You can’t even see Main Street!

10 Likes

This video perfectly illustrates this quote:
“A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I’m afraid of widths.” ~ Steven Wright

11 Likes

They all appear if you click again

I assumed it’s a thing youtube have done at their end with embedded videos. I always found it frustrating before that if you fullscreeen’d an embedded video the mouse cursor would stay visible, now it disappears after a few seconds like it does on youtube itself

Thirteen replies and no “Price is Right cliffhanger” game? Y’all are slipping!

*** yodel-ledle-YO-deledle-yodel-ledle-YOOOO ***

1 Like

Razor’s edge or no, BRB — I’ve got to go change my underwear.

1 Like
2 Likes

Crib Goch (Red Ridge) in Snowdonia is very similar:

3 Likes

But where do they keep the half-sized basketball court?