Videos show crowd stampede at Travis Scott concert that left 8 dead, hundreds hurt

Originally published at: Videos show crowd stampede at Travis Scott concert that left 8 dead, hundreds hurt | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Annnnd! That’s why I won’t go to big shows ever again! Human stampede, no thank you.

22 Likes

Same here.
Also, I realize hindsight is 20/20 and all, but after the gates got crashed at 2 PM and all those people stormed in, it should have been considered to cancel the show right then. No security checks?
This is obviously a tragedy, but it seems almost lucky that it wasn’t much worse in terms of loss of life, given where it was.

32 Likes

Anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists are already blaming the vaccine for the cardiac arrest, because, you know, getting crushed can’t possibly cause medical problems!

11 Likes

i don’t even understand why there was a big show. during a pandemic!? people doubtless would have died from this even without the deaths at the concert itself

it’s all just terrible :cry:

28 Likes

And still will. :cry:

16 Likes

Not hindsight. The security checks were busted, the site was unsafe. Everything should have been cancelled.

I mean, unless all those security checks were just theater…

31 Likes

TMZ is following evidence that there was some maniac running about sticking people with a needle, presumably to inject something. No speculation (yet) on how this relates to the stampede -sigh-

6 Likes

One word: Texas. Which also helps explain the conspicuous lack of masks.

20 Likes

I cannot stomach large masses of people. I’ve a friend who did well for herself and is now mostly retired at 50ish and she and her husband go 100+ concerts a year – her pictures of these crowds just make my skin itch.

13 Likes

More details from people who were in the crowd…

Horrible.

19 Likes

Yeesh, watching the video of people storming their way in - the security dudes stand there and watch them come in, but then they occasionally start randomly shoving people and making half-hearted attempts to grab them (and immediately giving up). Not actually detaining them, not stopping them from coming in, just shoving them to the ground, punitively it seems. Concert security has often been infamously problematic in the past, so you’d think there’d at least be some sort of training required these days, as there’s an awareness that even just being incompetent could get people killed, but it doesn’t seem like it. Given that’s how it all started, it’s really not surprising it went downhill from there…

14 Likes

How horrible.

10 Likes

Anyone else having flashbacks to Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati in 1979? Eleven people died there from the crowd crush; their average age was 19.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it…

9 Likes

I’m much more reminded of the Loveparade disaster. But everyone has these examples that hit close to home.

9 Likes

Large crowds with no flow controls are freaking dangerous.

17 Likes

Wow, that sounds horrible.

2 Likes

giphy

19 Likes

Late stage capitalism?

Can we bring that one back?

Please?

1 Like

I’m getting a little tired of watching videos of terrible tragedies,
but maybe that’s just me.

7 Likes