Vidoe: "Mysterious" shimmering spiral flying over Hawaii

Interesting. I couldn’t detect the spiral at all at that speed.

Uzumaki!!!

Now you remind me of that - yes, I’ve come across it before. So now we know @pesco’s original “vidoe” headline error! :wink:

you can slow the footage…

…just click the cog wheel and select a slower speed…

1 Like

I can see those observatories from my living room windows. I was even up and outside around that time on Sunday, thanks to dogs and a cat whose potty/feeding schedule doesn’t take weekends off. Crazy to think I might have been able to see that if it hadn’t been cloudy and raining on this part of the island!

2 Likes

It’s not possible to get it down to actual speed, but I suspect even if I could, it would still look weird to me. I guess the issue is that fundamentally, it’s not moving the way objects normally (in a human-scale, daily environment) move.

So much for that satellite being “classified”, huh?

…the characteristic spiral caused by the post-deorbit-burn fuel vent of the Falcon 9 upper stage…

Uh-huh.

Now explain the one in my attic.

When they said “Mysterious flying whirlpool,” I was picturing a washer-dryer. But, whatever.

1 Like

On October 8, 2017, I was on a ship,
sailing from Honolulu to Seattle and about 270 nautical miles north of the Big Island of Hawaii, and saw a very similar “sky spiral.” The funny part was how the Chief Mate I was on watch with managed to convince himself that it was some epically huge UFO.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.