Vidoe: "Mysterious" shimmering spiral flying over Hawaii

Originally published at: Vidoe: "Mysterious" shimmering spiral flying over Hawaii | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Dr. Strange is at it again.

10 Likes

Right. Uh-huh.

2 Likes

Ok, so the footage is sped up, making it look weirder than it was, but I still don’t get how the rocket is creating that kind of spiral (when seen from that position), where the whole spiral is moving laterally like that… wild.

2 Likes

I grew up seeing these displays here in L.A. where launches from Vandenberg afb we’re common. I can totally see someone thinking they were over the top crazy phenomenon because they can be such dramatic, otherworldly, and beautiful events.

5 Likes

Doctor-Strange-surfing-Hawaiian-Shirt2

10 Likes

You never know. It could just be Ned.

2 Likes

It’s a sign. We’re circling the drain.

7 Likes

The second stage is travelling at just below orbital velocity so it is moving across the sky at a fair clip - at least until it re-enters and burns up. During its last few minutes, vents blow open to empty the tanks which reduces the risk of an explosion before the rocket is deep in the atmosphere. This outgassing makes it spin and the vapour trails form the spiral.

Not sure why the word ‘mysterious’ was ever used as these events have been regularly photographed over the years. Beautiful certainly, mysterious not so much.

13 Likes

It’s mysterious because it’s a vidoe
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 19.59.38

(No idea why BBS headline differs from post headline.)

11 Likes

Weirdly, I want that shirt.
Or maybe strangely.

6 Likes

Well that was a waste

I find is amazing and heartening, how mundane these space launches have become.

2 Likes

I guess I was imagining (for some reason) that it was lower in the sky than it is, and that the venting was coming from the sides of the rocket as it moved towards the camera. But yes, that makes sense.

1 Like

“I summon the Seven Rings of Raggadorr!”

2 Likes

Play at 1/4 speed to get pretty close to real time

1 Like

My understanding is that the BBS post is created automagically from the main site submission. However, if the main site post/headline is subsequently updated, the BBS post is not similarly changed.

1 Like

there’s definitely something strange when it’s an orange surfboard and not silver…

1 Like

It’s not a surfboard, it’s the Librarian. Ook!

1 Like

vidoe or it never happened :wink:

( see! i can stay on topic )

2 Likes